Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soon as it shows up I will put a sound clip on.. It is a full system not a slip on...

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's the pipe I've been eyeballing since it came out. V&H makes a nice exhaust and I can't wait to hear it. I'd also be interested to know if it drags any on right hand turns. From the pics, it appears high and tight so there might not be any issue. It will look sweet - congrats!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curious as to how loud it is and what it does to the torque curve. When I was looking at exhaust for my Roadliner, I wanted a slip on to keep the power valve intact. I like the look of those pro pipes... I hope they aren't too loud.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its installed and sounds amazing way better than stock and a little quieter than a slip on.. It has a real deep tone to it not loud at all.. The fit was amazing the only problem was I was shorted a clamp and a heat shield I have to call them today and get it coming.. I will get some pics up today sometime...
Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm curious about slip-on vs. full replacement exhaust. I know you aren't supposed to need to adjust any settings if you use a slip-on, but you do with full replacement ones. Is this true? If so, how do you know how/what to adjust? I saw some very nice looking full-replacement pipes but I'd be skittish about buying them and having to buy more stuff to adjust timing and tuning, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Grid,
I believe the difference between the slip-on and the full exhaust is the removal of the EXUP valve. This valve is located in the stock exhaust and if I remember correctly, stays on the exhaust with the slip-on (please don't quote me on this tho, I may be wrong). However I have seen a lot of discussion on whether to add in an air kit and a fuel management system or not when replacing the exhaust. I myself bought Cobra's Xtra Longs for my bile and installed the FI2000r as a fuel manager. I get a little popping on the decel, and occasionally get a cough out of the throttle bodies (which stalled my bike) but other than that I love the sound from the pipes and can get on them when I want someone to hear me.
Beyond that you don't have to do anything with the timing (at least I haven't seen anything on this) but a full exhaust and fuel manager will run you somewhere in the area of $800-1200 bucks. Add in a BRK and you'll add about another $250 to the price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just installed the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with no programmer for now, I just bumped up the stock CO settings on the bike for now I am going to try that and see if it runs lean or not, so far it is fine now little to no popping I have not taken it on a long ride yet so we will see how it goes when I do that..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Video: V&H Touring and Pro pipes

Here's an excellent clip from another Liner website where he compares the V&H 2 into 1 touring pipes with the new V&H Pro pipe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
An interesting point. I changed out my stock pipe for a V&H 2 into 1 touring pipe not because I didn't like the sound of the stock pipe, but because I didn't like the looks of that bulky torpedo muffler. Between the V&H touring and pro pipes in the clip I like the sound of the standard Pro pipe best but probably won't change what I have now. You'd think you could just change the mufflers on the V&H 2 into 1 headers, but apparently you have to purchase the entire setup if you want the Pro pipe. :(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the Pro Pipe is quieter than the Road House Slip on I had before but I really like the sound of the Pro Pipe over the slip on.. I noticed in the Video they are missing the same heat shield I am missing on my pipe.. Interesting...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Pro-pipe, not all that great

I thought i better add my 2 cents. I installed the pro-pipe and noticed a big loss in power. It sounds great and works like sh*t. check out the attachment. the pro-pipe lost me 10 ft/lbs torque. it sounds cool but turned my bike in to a slug. was the cool sound worth the loss of power. OH HELL NO!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's strange because I've never noticed any loss in power with the Pro pipe. I haven't had my Strat evaluated on a Dyno, but the "seat of the pants" experience is as good or better than the OEM or V&H touring pipes. The dyno chart certainly backs up your claim, but I wonder if there might be other factors that come into play? Along with the Pro pipe I'm using the Power Commander V and Autotune with PR BAK. I wonder if any of that might make a difference in the performance of the Pro Pipe?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts