Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 2007 V star 1100. This is to replace my wife's 1100 that was totaled back in January. She cant ride yet but wants something when she is healed up and cleared by the doc. It has 11000 miles and some nice add-ons. I wasn't to sure but it has Custom fenders but classic floorboards. Can you put floorboards on a custom?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/240980139908539/?ref=messenger_banner.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
it has the heel /toe shifter - dont think they put those on the custom

isnt the front wheel bigger on the custom, or is that just the 650 version?

maybe only the rear fender was replaced or chopped

the throw-over saddle bags look sketchy

also if he is selling it for his dad, you want to check the gas carefully, if its dark and brown you are looking at possibly cleaning the carbs.

BTW, its nearly impossible to get a bike running well with that hypercharger, they are designed for racing and running WFO all the time. It will not idle well if its tuned for performance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok KCW. Will want to hear it run and check all the fluids before we buy it. The bags will be replace with some Viking bags that can be locked.

·
2,512 Posts
The Custom has a slightly larger diameter wheel I believe, but it's narrower. I think I read somewhere that the footpegs and floorboards mount to the same place so they should be interchangeable. Should be the same with the shifter, but I'm only guessing. The fender may have been cut, but the passenger seat looks like the one on the custom. It's narrower and curves to fit the fender where the classic is a little flatter and slightly bulged at the sides. My guess is that's a custom someone added floorboards to.

Those saddlebags look exactly like the ones on mine. They're ok, but don't hold much. The PO added plastic panels inside mine so they hold their shape. My bike has saddle bag supports and I use tie wraps to fasten the bags to them. They hold fine - it's just a PIA to take them off and on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a custom but I don't recall the front wheel being a larger diameter. The classic and custom are essentially the same bike except for fenders and rims. You can interchange pegs for boards. I put aftermarket mini boards on mine but it will accept factory Yamaha classic boards.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
maybe its only the 650 custom that has a bigger front wheel than the 650 classic

not sure about the 1100s

one nice thing about the rear fender on the custom models, you only have to raise the bike about an inch to get the back wheel off the bike (out from under the fender)

cant do that with the wrap around full fender on the classic versions - have to jack it almost 2 feet in the air, or take the seats off and half the fender bolts to swing it up out of the way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we got it. It was everything the add said it was. 2007 V Star 1100. Its a custom with floorboards and heel toe shift. Very nice guy who always had work done at the dealer. Oil relocation kit, cobra pipes, lindey highway bars and foot pegs. Cobra pipes were loud pon the half hour ride home which was mostly highway. Ran smooth. The wife is very happy.

·
2,512 Posts
Nice! Glad you found here a good deal on a nicely maintained bike.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
That's great to hear. Congrats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts