Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, everyone. I got licensed in 2012 and bought a 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic. I'm having a great time with this bike, but I think I will be upgrading to a bigger engine sometime soon.

However, I do have a problem with my bike not starting. I have read several posts but was unable to find a solution from the several similar posts I read. My bike failed to turn the engine and I decided to buy a new battery. This worked for a few days and it went back to the same. I had the new battery tested by the seller and it came back with not issues. The bike, however, still fails to turn the engine. When I turn the key I do hear the humming sound, the kick stand is up, the bike is in neutral (green light on), and kill switch is on. When I attempt to start I hear clicking sound and a faint attempt to turn the engine like when the battery is dead. Can you help or point me to a post with a possible solution?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.

Sounds like your battery isn't being charged by your alternator/generator. Recharge the battery again, fire up the bike and while it's running put a volt meter across the + and - battery terminals. You should see a little over 14V on your meter if the system is charging your battery.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
So the new battery worked for a few days and now it won't work. It isn't getting charged, for whatever reason. Can you jump start it from your car's battery?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes it can be done. I have done it several times. But Yamaha does not recommend it. They told me they prefer you do jump from a power starter or a charger jump start.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know.I had to jump my bike due to my alarm being installed normally when it needed to be installed differently with the starter kill

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the V Star 650 World. I bought mine a few weeks ago, and after about 500 miles of around town and some highway. I've had it up to 70 mph and felt there wasn't much more. I over heard a conversation once about a guy having this issue on a Suzuki, and he had a bare wire somewhere in the wiring that wasn't allow the start to roll over. Fair warning, I am nowhere close to being mechanic, but the guy said he found the issue, soldered the wire and BOOM, problem solved.

·
Registered
412 Posts
welcome vstarjag, from another alabamian! what part of bama? if close by, i could help you figure out the issue...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts