Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,417 Posts
Hi Chris!
Welcome from East Tennessee. Any pics you’d like to share with us? The 650 is a great bike and we have several members that own one. Looking forward to your participation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Keith, thanks for the welcome pic attached just got her last sunday paid a good price just needs some TLC to get it running fully. the bike starts and will drive with the choke on but dies anytime you push the choke in. otherwise its a great bike in great shape

Attachments

·
2,525 Posts
Welcome form Atlantic Canada, Chris. The 650 is a great bike. Try running some Seafoam through it to see if that clears up the carbs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got mine in may; first bike... Got my endorsement a month ago.

I'm not sure anything bigger would be any more fun.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
...Try running some Seafoam through it ....
hey! thats my line! :^O

waiting to get your temp license in the mail? took the road test and passed - congrats

If the bike is running rough and the gas is not fresh drain it out, fill it with new gas and a carb cleaner.

The choke circuit only enriches the mixture when the bike is idling - as soon as you crack the throttle open the PM ports open up, and about 1/3 of the way around the main jets start kicking in.

With fresh gas and seafoam in the tank, if you can get the bike to run long enough to get half mile down the road, open the throttle up, push the choke in... and if it keeps running the treated fuel might flush out your carbs. If you can ride up some hills and really crank it open, its like a hose blasting fuel and cleaner thru your carbs - it really does work.

If it runs at all it might take a tank or two of treated fuel to get it running 100%.

If you cant get that far then pumping some carb cleaner into the float bowls and letting it sit overnight might get you there - you may have to replace the fuel filter if its clogged

and if non of that works the last resort is to clean the carbs manually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picking up sea foam now question though saw videos to drain the fuel then run the foam alone . Also saw videos of just adding it to gas then drain then add new gas. Whats the best option on how to run it through the bike

...Try running some Seafoam through it ....
hey! thats my line! :^O

waiting to get your temp license in the mail? took the road test and passed - congrats

If the bike is running rough and the gas is not fresh drain it out, fill it with new gas and a carb cleaner.

The choke circuit only enriches the mixture when the bike is idling - as soon as you crack the throttle open the PM ports open up, and about 1/3 of the way around the main jets start kicking in.

With fresh gas and seafoam in the tank, if you can get the bike to run long enough to get half mile down the road, open the throttle up, push the choke in... and if it keeps running the treated fuel might flush out your carbs. If you can ride up some hills and really crank it open, its like a hose blasting fuel and cleaner thru your carbs - it really does work.

If it runs at all it might take a tank or two of treated fuel to get it running 100%.

If you cant get that far then pumping some carb cleaner into the float bowls and letting it sit overnight might get you there - you may have to replace the fuel filter if its clogged

and if non of that works the last resort is to clean the carbs manually.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
If the bike has old gas in the tank drain it out - its not worth the couple bucks for the goop thats in the tank flushing thru your nice $2000 carbs. Nothing can restore old gas that has turned to goop.

If you dont know how to get rid of the old gas (do NOT burn it) put it in something like an oil drain pan outside, where it wont fill up with rain - it will evaporate away in a day or so.

If the bike will run follow the directions on the can, one ounce per gallon of gas (650 holds 4.2 gallons, but you could put just one gallon in to start)

If the bike just wont run well enough to ride it, you could try putting straight seafoam in the carbs - you would have to disconnect the fuel line to the carbs, run the bike long enough to drain out the float bowl, then put some cleaner in the fuel line with something like a turkey baster - dont force it in with a lot of pressure, just as much as it takes to fill the bowls (about 2 tablespoons each)

then let it sit over night, with the gas line re-attached, and see how it runs in the morning - if it will run well enough to ride it, then then the cleaner in the tank will continue to flush out the varnish and goop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool thanks for the info. yea the videos i had seen was people putting a whole can straight into an empty gas can then running the bike on only seafoam. thought that might not be a very good idea.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Glad to have another Buckeye here! I would suggest taking the rider safety course given by Motorcycle Ohio. You will learn a bunch about being safe on the road. The course through the state is about 50 bucks. At the end of the course you will have your license after you pass the exam. You do need your temps to participate. If you take this course from another provider it can cost upwards of 250. The state course is a great deal!

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
ditto the MSF riding course recommendation

riding a motorcycle is so different from driving a car, starting right from the steering: motorcycles steer backwards

and it only gets more interesting from there

·
2,525 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Glad to have another Buckeye here! I would suggest taking the rider safety course given by Motorcycle Ohio. You will learn a bunch about being safe on the road. The course through the state is about 50 bucks. At the end of the course you will have your license after you pass the exam. You do need your temps to participate. If you take this course from another provider it can cost upwards of 250. The state course is a great deal!
Nice. It's almost like they want you to be safe and keep it affordable. Our government sees it as yet another opportunity to dip their greedy little hands into our pockets and demands $500.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,521 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Drained gas added new with seafaom and while it will almost idle now it still wants to die or it just kinda chugs here are links to videos showing what it sounds like

https://youtu.be/LjX5FogtkhA shows bike running w/choke at the end i kill the choke and it dies
https://youtu.be/uV7t1rco-wU just the bike running with choke on from another view

1 - 18 of 18 Posts