Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y?all. New rider. Going on two weeks now. Came across a 07 vStar 650 with 12k miles. So far I love it. Replaced the air filter with a K&N for now. Thinking about getting some pipes that are a little louder. Need input on that. Also want to put in crash bars. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
If you are going to put performance exhaust on the bike, do it as soon as possible since you have already modified the air intake. When you get the new exhaust on you will need to change the jets in the carbs to make the bike run correctly (not run lean). So get that all done at the same time. The jets are selected based on the intake and exhaust you put on the bike.

Is your windshield on a quick release? I really prefer my bike with it off, unless Im on the interstate going 70mph for an hour or more, or if its below 50F in the morning.

Did you ride the bike at 65mph+ on the highway with the windshield on, because it looks like its angled (raked) all the way back, about the same angle as the front forks, and I would expect your head felt like you were leaning on an orbital sander (unless the windshield it higher than your helmet). With the windshield at about the same height as your nose (so you can see over it, and the air blows up over your head) you can get severe buffeting on your helmet when its not angled just right - which is usually leaning forward as far as the mounts will allow.

That is a nice drivers backrest - you got a nicely modified bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the windshield off first day. I do take it on the hwy a couple of times a week and it hasn?t been too bad at 70mph. What?s a good place to get performance pipes? That?s probably the only other adjustment I have in mind( that and rejet it afterwards). There?s a mc repair shop by my house. Went by there yesterday afternoon and spoke to the mechanic about it. He did pointed out that it may be running lean. There?s coloring on the front pipe, close to the front wheel, when it?s hot. So any suggestions on where to get performance pipes would be appreciated it.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I have not purchased exhausts for any MC, but in general a good place to look is on Amazon. It sounds odd but give it a try - its a good way to get a feeling for going prices.

I have gotten tires, tune-up parts and my windshield from BikeBandit.com. Pretty much all of the MC parts websites will have exhaust systems.

It sometimes takes a day or two for people with the specific experience you are looking for to respond on this forum, so looking around on the MC parts websites will give you a quick idea of prices.

Your mechanic sounds like he know what he is doing. When you have an idea of what the exhaust will cost online + shipping, ask the shop how much they can get the same one for. Some shops charge a lot of overhead, and some are pretty reasonable. For example, when I needed a new battery I found them online for about $30. The only ones the local shop sells are $200. But they have pretty competitive prices on tires, windshields, helmets... So you have to check around first.

Whenever I can I give my business to a local shop, because it is nice to have a good mechanic nearby that I can depend on.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NC!

My wife rides 650 custom and that's a very cool bike!

I normally use Partsgiant for upgrades. They seem to have lower prices than any other place. I bought Cobra speedster slashdown pipes from them for around $140 cheaper than Amazon, Ebay, JPcycles, Revzilla, etc. Cobrapowerflo intake and cobra floorboards were about $50 cheaper and I just ordered Lindby Linbar last night that was $51 cheaper than anywhere else I went.

For spare OEM parts I normally use Partzilla and Jake Wilson for tires.

·
2,349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Eastern Canada. The 650 is an excellent choice for your first ride and it looks like you got yourself a nice one!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,016 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Nice looking bike. I ride as 1100 so can't help much with the exhaust. There are many 650 riders here so I'm sure you will get great suggestions. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys. I?ve been looking at the 4 hole mod for the stock pipes. I just want to be louder than what they are now. Is drilling the 4 holes harmful to the bike or not? I wanna give that a shot before spending a few hundred on pipes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey guys. I?ve been looking at the 4 hole mod for the stock pipes. I just want to be louder than what they are now. Is drilling the 4 holes harmful to the bike or not? I wanna give that a shot before spending a few hundred on pipes.
My buddy did that to his 650 2 years ago. Never had a problem. The bike was slightly louder but not as loud as an after market set of pipes would be. Still street legal as far as decibels go so no LEO worries either.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I agree with BK, you wont wreck the bike if you drill out the baffles, but you will still need to rejet the carbs to match the intake and exhaust mods.

If you buy an aftermarket exhaust and intake, you can find the info on which jets to to put on your bike to match what you have done. Not sure if that info is available for drilling out the stock muffler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. I took my wife to the drive in movie theater about an hour from our house and about half way there the bike started losing power. I had the throttle all the way down and could only do 50. I stop and checked air filter and such and even adjusted the throttle thinking that either was an air leak somewhere or something wrong with the throttle. It stop the problem and we continue on and enjoyed both movies. Drove back at midnight on the country road. Loved it. Stars and moon guiding us thru. We made I back home without any issues. The next day it started acting up again. So I took it to the mechanic and they?re going to clean the 2 carburetors. And replace the 2 boots above the carbs. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Also getting oil change.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thanks for sharing pics. Let us know what you decide on pipes, and am glad that member's have already made some suggestions! We are here for ya.

Enjoy it and take it slow. Whether you are a new rider or a seasoned pro, we all need to be safe out there on the streets!

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts