Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2007 VStar Classic (w/2744 miles) a week before my endorsement test. My first time riding a motorcycle. Took my training and test on a 250. Hopping on the XVS 650 for the first time 2 days after passing my test, I wondered if I was going to make it home in one piece for the 15 mile ride home. A big weight difference right off the bat, and going from a single shifter to a heal-toe shifter kind of spooked me at first. So I spent an hour tooling around the area of the motorcycle dealership trying to get the feel for the bike. After a few times of pulling on and off the streets getting used to the controls, I finally told myself it was "do or die" time and to make the trek home before it got dark (or rained). I did make it home in one piece (stalled the bike a couple of times) and the rest is history. I mainly ride rain or shine for my commute to work. I've put close to 1000 miles on my bike and have taken several 30-40 mile trips around the Puget Sound area. I have avoided the I-5 up to now, but I will eventually have to get up the nerve to attempt it soon (anyone who lives in this area knows what I mean). It's great riding the back roads of Snohomish County with the hills and greenery all around. I am planning a ride around Lake Washington and Chuckanut Drive soon. Looking forward to reading the forums for great stories and helpful advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Key Penninsula :D We got a couple members up around your area. Enjoy the bike and ride safe :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome! I rode my old Vulcan 500 around the Seattle area for 9 months and almost never got to the end of my ride dry... got some GREAT wet weather gear tho!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SparkyD. I've lived in Mountlake Terrace since 2002 and am looking foward to hopping on the ferries to explore the islands.

Checked out your profile and saw one of your friends is
Jarhead1100.

Saw a mention of Timonium (Baltimore area) and that he was from the Baltimore area. I grew up in the Baltimore area, served in the Marines and I work in the computer field. Interesting.. If you chat with him, give him a big OOH RAH from a former Jarhead, and computer geek from Balmer (He'll understand Balmer) if you don't mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks M'Lady. You must have rode between October and June. Since the beginning of July (most years) its pretty nice w/ only a couple of rainy days.

Got great rain gear also, though I've only had to put it on maybe six times since the end of April. And yes I ride back and forth to work everyday.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome aboard! Glad you're enjoying your new ride.

Don't force yourself onto the interstate just to say you did it. I'm as familiar with my bike as I'll get, and still I avoid the interstate whenever I can for two reasons: 1) lots of inattentive cagers, and 2) the interstate is way more boring on a bike than two-lane blacktop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Caliente and thanks for the advice.

One of the best rides in the short time I've had my bike was a 3 hr ride in the western foothills of the Cascades (Snohomish, WA). Two lanes are definitely the best.

Had to turn around because my GPS freaked out and I didn't want to end up in Canada, eh. See that you live in Cedar Rapids. I lived in KC for 10 years off and on, with a day trip to Des Moines. Love the midwest!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts