Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I bought my first bike last summer. 2011 Yamaha V-Star 250.

I didn't get to ride much last year, less than 50 miles because the bike and I were separated by about 120 miles all summer.

Last night/this morning I had a new friend ride down to get the bike and bring it up to where I live. While unloading the bike, he dropped it off the top of the ramp. The bike landed vertically on its ass. Now the fender is all messed up, tail light busted, paint chipped, gas tank dented and who knows what else.

This is why I am here. To get advice on what to do next.

Oh yeah. I just paid it off last month.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
This is why I am here. To get advice on what to do next.
1. Welcome:)

2. Take deep breath;)

3. Get rid of "new friend":mad:

4. Take some pix of the damage (preferably close up pix) post to Photobucket or similar, and then upload here so that our mechanical experts can see what needs to be done and how to best and most economically accomplish that.

5. Hang tough. We have some great mechanics here (I just don't happen to be one of them:()

·
Registered
159 Posts
3. Get rid of "new friend":mad:
Welcome to the forum and I 100% agree with Springer, but I'd wait until his check for the damage clears the bank.:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this may seem kinda obvious to some of you... But now is the time for me to use my insurance right?

He offered to replace the tail light, but obviously more than just the light cover has been damaged.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If he was unloading it off of his truck when he dropped it, I would look into filing a claim on his insurance. May not be possible, but certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow Blue. That's a bummer for sure. And while you can try to claim it on his insurance, chances are his insurance will not cover it. Most insurance only covers loss or damage to the vehicles he has covered - not the cargo he was carrying. Of course, you could claim it under your insurance and possibly have him pay the deductible for it - this may still cause your monthly premiums to go up.

If your friend only offered to replace the taillight, it's definitely time to find a new friend. From the pics, the cosmetic damage is obviously more than just the taillight, and there could be other damage not visible in the pictures. Definitely want to have that looked at. Sickening to have this happen to a new bike to say the least. Hope your friend owns up to the mistake and makes things right by you.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
So this may seem kinda obvious to some of you... But now is the time for me to use my insurance right?

He offered to replace the tail light, but obviously more than just the light cover has been damaged.

Insurance claim? Yoooooobetcha!:mad:

And the way it generally works that if you provide your underwriter your "new friend's" name, address, telephone, license plate, insurance policy # (if any) is that your insurance company will settle with you (please, please, tell us you have comprehensive/damage and not just liability) and then they will "subrogate" against your "friend's" carrier--or initiate litigation against your friend himself if he has no insurance.

Providing you have comprehensive/damage, your underwriter will assign a claims adjuster to look your bike over and see how the dollar amount matches against the bike's value (they do this to see if it's to their advantage to "total" vice repair). Any settlement will of course be in an amount minus whatever deductible your policy coverage indicates.

Don't be either surprised or dismayed if the bike is totaled, and good luck;)

And you did well with photobucket. Take more pix from ALL angles both for your files and for our illumination;)

Regards

(...and if you get a good settlement on a "total", next time buy black cherry:D:D:D)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Friend

Blue...I understand that. Man I'd be sick too. How close of a friend was this? And I'd for sure try his insurance.
This is a very new friend. I know he didn't drop the bike on purpose, or because he was being reckless... Part of the problem may have been that it was the first time he had loaded and unloaded a bike into that particular truck. It was dark, and we'd been on the road for 8 hours... All of which add up to apparent disaster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow Blue. That's a bummer for sure.

Of course, you could claim it under your insurance and possibly have him pay the deductible for it - this may still cause your monthly premiums to go up.

If your friend only offered to replace the taillight...

Sickening to have this happen to a new bike to say the least. Hope your friend owns up to the mistake and makes things right by you.
This puts a major dent in my weekend plans for sure.
This all happened about 3 am and the light in my garage had burned out... So really even I couldnt see how extensive the damage was at first... But I knew it had to be more than just the light cover. The whole weight of the bike just sat on its end for what felt like a good minute.

I went back out later with a flashlight to do an inspection and take some pics.

I think he will do right by me, I hope so anyway. I really like the idea of gettin him to pay the deductible. That seems fair. Especially cause I paid for all the gas on the road trip. And we all know how much that costs... Er... Well in Alaska we're talkin $4.29 a gallon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Insurance claim? Yoooooobetcha!:mad:

(please, please, tell us you have comprehensive/damage and not just liability)

Don't be either surprised or dismayed if the bike is totaled, and good luck;)

Take more pix from ALL angles both for your files and for our illumination;)

Regards

(...and if you get a good settlement on a "total", next time buy black cherry:D:D:D)
Thanks for the overview. That was helpful. I have filed a claim now, and yeah I have full coverage cause up til a month ago the bank still owned it and I never made any changes to my policy after I had it paid in full.

Honestly, I won't be surprised at all if it's "totaled". In mint condition like it was it, kbb has it at $3,500. Thinking new rear fender, gas tank, etc etc, that money won't go far.

I will get more pics, just waiting on the sun. :cool:

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Could be awhile up there, but it lasts and lasts and lasts and...:)

When you've rested and viewed the bike, pay particular attention to any frame damage. It doesn't take a great deal to misalign forks, bend frame components, etc. on a bike of that size. If the frame is tweaked at all, it'll be totaled. Insurance companies don't like to mess with damages like that because repairs just never get it back to 100%.

'luck

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think my bike uses the 250 motor has a starter. :D

JFWY... Hope you get it squared away. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the overview. That was helpful. I have filed a claim now, and yeah I have full coverage cause up til a month ago the bank still owned it and I never made any changes to my policy after I had it paid in full.

Honestly, I won't be surprised at all if it's "totaled". In mint condition like it was it, kbb has it at $3,500. Thinking new rear fender, gas tank, etc etc, that money won't go far.

Here's the thing with that, its not 3500 in the eyes of the insurance company. KBB can say what it wants but insurance companies go by ACV (Actual Cash Value) and YUP you guessed it thats less than "wholesale".

My wife is saying hope & pray you had "replacement value" on your policy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts