Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is Josh,
Just picked up myself a little project bike. its a 99 V Star 650 classic. It has 23,000 on it and runs like a top. Drove it 40 miles home. It has some minor damage on it like the vacuum of the tank causing it to cave in. Some scratches and scrapes too but I picked it up at a good price.

This is my second motorcycle. My first was an 1981 maxim xj650 in full dress. However it sadly made its way to the big road in the sky :( (cracked block beyond my skill or willingness to put money into it to fix.)

Hoping to get to know all you guys as I'm running down the list of things to fix. the first being why this tank doesn't vent! hahaha

·
Super Moderator
6,227 Posts
Hi Josh, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Have any pics of your ride you'd like to share with us? Be sure to post your questions in the Vstar section. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
you are going to have to explain this vacuum crushed gas tank - that is news to me!

does it have the original gas cap?

Ive been told this can happen on newer Ford Fusion cars. They have a 16 gallon gas tank, and if the vent collapses the fuel pump will suck the plastic tank down to a capacity of about 3 gallons, and it will stay that way. You go to fill up your car, and it will only take 3 gallons.

·
2,345 Posts
Welcome Josh. You got yourself a nice bike there. Never heard of a fuel tank doing that either but I'm sure someone here can help you out if you have any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I never heard of a motorcycle doing that either. But it wasn't pushed in by hand lol. Anyways it was either stupidness or bravery but I put the air compressor to the EMPTY tank and gave a few blasts. The dent the size of a dinner dish is now down to a few small ones. And small enough to where I do not cringe looking at it.

Here is the bike. Mind the guns in the background......mix of my other hobby airsoft and paintball.....I'm not sons of anarchy

I also will include my old bike if anyone was wondering....it was a full rebuild before the motor blew up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
4,999 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Nice bike. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
so..... you are not going to ride it till you fix the plugged air vent.... right?

if you cant figure it out start a thread in the Vstar section of the forum with a subject line something like "Plugged tank vent crushed gas tank..."

a lot of members dont read the new member intro threads, so the people that know what caused this might not see these post in this one.

You are not quite that crazy for using compressed air to push it back out, except for one thing: If you are going to pressure test or straighten out a tank again, fill it to the top with water, then use compress air to pressurize the water. Then if a seam pops or the tank ruptures, it will only go "thunk" and crack open a bit, because there is not a lot of compressed air in it.

If you only use compressed air without the water, then it could go KABOOOOOM !!!! and blow shards of metal all over the place.

Then of course you need to use alcohol to get the remaining water out of the tank after you drain it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts