Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a brand new rider who is having a problem I am hoping someone might be able to help me with. I bought a 2005 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom (she's beautiful!) and I am still learning to ride. I took the MSF Basic Rider Course and learned quite a bit and got past my fear (drummed into me by my husband!), but I am having an issue translating what I learned on their little 250's to my bike. When I pull in the clutch, shift into first and start to let out on the clutch, it seems that the friction zone doesn't kick in until the clutch is almost all the way out. Because I don't quite have the feel for it yet, and it is so far away (fingertips!) I stall the bike out alot. We have tried adjusting the clutch and that only made it worse. Does anyone know of anything I might be able to do to bring the lever closer to the grip? Any other ideas?
Thanks for taking the time!
Hope to hear from some of you soon!
Ronda

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome, Ronda. :)

Check out The Clevver. It's a modified clutch lever for your bike that changes how the cable is pulled and completely eliminates the problem.

My girlfriend was in pretty much the exact same situation as you - took the MSF course on a 250, got a 650 Classic, had trouble with the clutch, and this worked for her. In fact, even I had trouble shifting her bike because of the stock clutch, but we installed this and it worked like a charm, shifting is smooth as butter now.

It's only about $40, and installing it is super easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We adjusted both the top and bottom nuts of the clutch cable. It only made the situation worse so we put it back to where it was. My husband was thinking of bending my lever, but I see the Clevver now and I think we are going to go that way! Thank you for your response!
Ronda

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hot Pocket! Thank you so much! My husband rides a Honda VTX 1800 and even he said it was an issue, but then maybe I was just being whiney! But we were just checking out the Clevver and ended up ordering one. Maybe once I have him put it on, he will let me ride with him! lol I'm just glad it's not only me that had this problem.
Thanks again!
Ronda

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ronda! Nice to see another woman on the boards.... this Friday is International Women Ride day.... hop on and take your new bike for a spin! :D:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Ronda,

My first bike is a V Star 650 also. I stalled a lot at first just like you. I noted the areas on my "training route" where I tended to stall out and just hit those as often as I could until I got the feel for the stock clutch lever. It took about a week. Now I've been riding a little over a month and I almost never stall. Cold engine, uphill starts, whatever. It just took some getting used to.

Welcome to the forums and keep the shiny side up. :D

Art

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard Ronda. Hang in there,my wife had the same problem with her 650 and just learned to deal with it.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M!

I'm gald there are some members that could,,,ahem,,,:

Help you Ronda, help help you Ronda. Help you Ronda, help help you Ronda. :D

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Ok Ronda now that we've helped you, it's your turn. You need to show us exactly what your bike looks like. A pic or two would be nice :). Where you ride, with or without hubby ;) and what you do for fun.

Don't fret the clutch thing as all have mentioned above, they are solutions and you'll find yours also. Ride safe and keep it shinny side up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again everyone. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all, but I have been riding my bike! I only stalled it twice today so I think I am improving! There's only a couple of things left for me to get better at and I don't think I will ever be home!
I don't know how to add pictures to this email so I put pictures of my bike in an album on here, titled Little Blue. My bike is Little Blue because my husband's is Big Red (Honda VTX 1800).
When I bought mine in March it came with the windshield, mustang seats, saddlebags, iso grips (I think they are too fat), cobra pipes and switchblade pegs (which I scraped three times in the last two days). I am looking around for floorboards to replace the switchblades with, but I am pretty happy with everything else on it.
My husband and I mostly ride around Niagara County unless we can get a vacation, in which case we have 19 states already done and next year we are planning to hit another ten. Hopefully I will be ready to ride beside him on the trip next year!
Is anyone located in this area? We do alot of the local rides around here and I would love to meet other Yamaha riders!
Thanks again for all your help and encouragement.........and you can sing to me any time!
Ronda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts