Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow motorist I'm a new rider just bought my first motorcycle. 1997 royal star tour deluxe under 16k miles on it (I know it's big for a starter but I'm 6'7 and 325lbs). That being said it has a mustang touring seat on it which pushes me forward. I guess I'm curious if the only gigantor on two wheels and what seats would help me not look and feel like chewbaka on a scooter? Also being a new rider don't really want to drop $500 on a seat.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,431 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. I've got exactly the opposite problem than you. I'm vertically challenged and can't flat foot my bike. One of our taller riders will chime in shortly I'm sure. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to the last page for current hunt.

Ride often and safe.

·
2,492 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada and congrats on the new to you bike. I've read the Mustang seats are comfortable but do move you slightly forward. Other brands will maintain the stock seating position but I get not wanting to spend the money on a seat. Maybe someone can chime in with a solution.

·
1,744 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. Take a MSF course and you will be a lot more comfortable riding. Afterward take your bike to a parking lot and practice Quick stops slow speed turning every chance you get. Oh also we are big on pictures.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. As for something to make the bike feel bigger i am trying to think for you. I am 6'2" with a 36" inseam. I think if you get taller risers for handle bars. The other thing that i loved was forward controls. I always had hwy pegs and would brake and shift with my heels for 40 years. I took a motorcycle safety class years ago and the instructor said drive the way you normally do. My brother said he stared to watch me drive away. He never said anything. I don't suggest you ride like that. On my last bike 1800VTX i made my own hwy peg mounts. My classic has foot boards and i just deal with the length. I do have hwy pegs but hardly ever use them. Unfortunatly any thing you might want to do is probably going to cost you. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do. Ride it enjoy it! I don't know that there is much bike choice out there better than what you bought.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello fellow motorist I'm a new rider just bought my first motorcycle. 1997 royal star tour deluxe under 16k miles on it (I know it's big for a starter but I'm 6'7 and 325lbs). That being said it has a mustang touring seat on it which pushes me forward. I guess I'm curious if the only gigantor on two wheels and what seats would help me not look and feel like chewbaka on a scooter? Also being a new rider don't really want to drop $500 on a seat.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum and enjoy snooping thru the many threads. Sorry, I cant help with your question. I will strongly second those recommendations to take an MSF course before you develop a lot of bad habits. As a new rider myself, I found it invaluable. Preventing one accident is well worth the cost. There is a lot more to consider to be safe, than just jumping in the saddle and taking off.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I am sure you will get answers to your questions but as for me...as a comparison to you I would represent the lollipop guild...Anyhow I digress...Take a look around the forum. Lots of things to do and good information to be had. Get your camera ready as those who posted above me can attest..pictures are a must! Snoop around and enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! Ditto on the request for pics.
Mustang seats are so much better than factory but they do move you forward. Being you’re a big guy, shop around on eBay, Amazon, and a few bike shops in your area to see what’s available in the aftermarket. I’d look at handlebar risers and forward controls and see what fits you. Glad you’re going to take the MSF course, invaluable training and I got an extra 10% off my insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina!
I’m 6’3”. That being said, highway pegs/boards are a MUST. Forward controls a MUST, risers will help.
Kudos on taking the MSF course. WISE move. They will teach you a lot of handling techniques, and it is HIGHLY recommended you practice frequently on your own.

CONGRATS on your new ride! You have one of the most reliable bikes on the road today.
Pictures are a MUST here. Seems the mindset is “if there’s NO PICS...it DIDNT HAPPEN”. So, let us see this bad boy!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am 6'5" and 280, I found that the Stratoliner is the best fit I have ever had. It has the power to carry the weight and with the ultimate seat the height is better. If your seat is moving you forward look at the Ultimate seat or go on ebay and see if you can get the stock seat for cheap.You can also go to a local upholsterer and have them either mod the seat or build a new seat on that seat pan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I've done a ton of research on the reliability aspect I am a heavy equipment mechanic so I hate working on my personal stuff. It came down to yami RSTD or a gwing. I got a killer deal on my bike and a gwing wasn't in the price range and a huge bike.

Less than 16k miles no leaks newish tires.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
you got a great bike, nothing else is like that V4 engine

if you are only riding 6 miles to work each way, ditch the windshield

I only put the windshields on my bikes when I will be riding on the highway at 70+ mph
or when the temp is below 50F

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan to take it off I live in east Texas cold in the early morning but during the day it's fine plus it's kinda short for me anyways. As a newbi I'm wearing a full face helmet so wind doesn't really matter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts