Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum eh. The 650 is one very nice ride for sure. But I order for us to advise you on your first purchase, we need to know a little more about you. Where you're from, what kind of riding you'll be doing, if you think you'll catch CCitiss and want to upgrade in the first two weeks ;). Let us know eh.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum fromhere in Northwest Illinois. G many andlad to hear you're joining us amd considering the 650 for your first bike. I rode a 650 for a year and half and have nothing but good things to say about them. A great bike to start with and many riders here have never changed. Keep us informed and send pics when you get that bike. Post often and ride safe/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

What I want in a bike.

I took the MSF course and did fine - always driven stick shift cars and ride bicycles to wasn't too hard.

One that fits. I'm just over 6'2'' and some of the 250 bikes and Suzuki S40 feel cramped.

However, I want a bike that isn't too big! I'm in pretty good shape so weight isn't a huge concern, but after sitting on a lot of bikes at dealership to get a feel, I realized being relatively close to the ground is comforting (not like a 32inch seat height dual sport adventure touring bike).

I want a bike that isn't expensive to own, and that I could sell at nominal loss.

It would be fun if it was big enough to carry a passenger after I get comfortable enough riding it.

It would mainly be a weekend pleasure bike... ride to next town to get food, ride it to the water on the weekend, etc...

I'm from Michigan, don't think I'll get CCitis (could see wanting a bike that did a little better on highway or more of a sport tourer at some point). Fortunately, I am big enough that mid-sized bikes feel safe and comfortable.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I had a 650 for three years before ccitis hit me and i moved up to the 950t. Corsair warned me, and he was right! May i suggest you take your time and shop around. Sit on a few 650's, 950's, and maybe even a 1300. At 6' 2" you have the height to sit on a few different models. Its just a suggestion tho. Glad youre with us, and keep us posted with what you decide upon, and of course include some pics. Ride safe!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 6'4" 280 lbs and rode a 950 Tourer for a few months then traded it in for a 1300 Tourer. Although there is minor differences in the size and weight the 1300 just feels like it fits me better. I do like highway bars with pegs to stretch out my legs but my main reason for trading up was while the 950 had plenty of power it just seemed like it was missing a gear at highway speeds. 5th gear on the 1300 seems to be in the sweet spot around 70-75mph and doesn't feel like there should be one more gear like the 950 did at that speed.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
if you're looking for inexpensive that doesn't lose much value, consider buying used. or at least a new 'left over' bike from a dealer that has been sitting for a couple years. as for comfort and size, just go sit on some at a nearby dealer and see what fits. i recommend the 950 because it's the greatest bike in the history of the world, but it's not for everybody.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts