Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all from New Caney Texas. (20 miles north of Houston)
Taking the BRC coarse at a local Harley davidson on the 10th-12th in 2 weeks. No bike yet but have my eye on both a 2012 V star 950 and a 2009 V star 1300. Gonna go next week and put my butt in the seats to see which would fit me best. I'm 6'7" and weight about 255. Was looking at Vulcans but think the V stars are much nicer. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you who have experience with these awesome machines!
-John

·
Administrator
3,504 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, and to the amazing world of motorcycling. I'm a former VStar owner (current Vulcan owner) but I still hang out here because it's simply the best forum I've ever been part of. It's very active and the people are great.

Both of those bikes are solid and dependable. I guess it comes down to what feels right and what kind of riding you intend to do. The 950 is very popular and people love them. If you ride two up or like to do some touring, maybe the 1300 would be a better choice. Whatever you choose, keep us posted and be sure to add a pic of your new ride.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, both bikes are nice. I settled and got an 1100 Classic. Ive had bigger but just enjoy this one. Can't wait to see where your journey ends up with. Like Northernrider says the people here are so nice everyone is welcomed. Stop by often

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee John! At your height, I would take a close look at the 1300. Wife and I each ride a 950, and I also own a RoadStar.
I’m 5-11, and the 950 is fine, but I can stretch out more on the RoadStar. The 1300 is perfect for 2up riding and a bit peppier on the highway.
Whatever you decide, you’ll be pleased. Be sure to share some pics with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Taking the BRC coarse at a local Harley davidson on the 10th-12th in 2 weeks. No bike yet but have my eye on both a 2012 V star 950 and a 2009 V star 1300. Gonna go next week and put my butt in the seats to see which would fit me best. I'm 6'7" and weight about 255. Was looking at Vulcans but think the V stars are much nicer. Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you who have experience with these awesome machines!
-John
Well my TALL FRiend .... have I got a bike for you to park your butt on. I'm gonna make a few suggestions for you as well which might just change a few thoughts for you. First, I'm going to suggest that any bike you buy, given your determination, should be a bike, regardless of brand, that FITS you! I've owned a lot of bikes over the years (40 years in the saddle) and Lord knows I've bought a few that I found to be shy of my expectations. I currently have a bike that I bought 14 years ago, and will probably own for another 14. At the time I bought Big BOOH (Bat Out Of Hell), I needed another like I needed a hole in my head. I'm speaking of a Yamaha Roadliner. A higher end versions (cosmetically only) is the Stratoliner. This beast is MADE for tall guys. I'm 6'3" and have NEVER found a bike that matched my long legged lankiness to a T. Be far the most comfortable bike to ride I've ever owned. No slouch either ... 113 cubic inches, and a ton of torque. It's also a long bike, with lots of seating for your lady (ladies). Now, the only cautionary thing I should mention here, is that production stopped 2 years ago, but you'll pay a ridiculously low price for this ride. Metrics don't hold their price, but they don't cost anywhere near the competitors price tags. I daresay you can pick up really well equipped bike for about 7-10k. Just a thought while you're looking, and to introduce you to one of the finest cruisers ever made, and that will still 14 years later, keep up with all the shiny new models at a fraction of the cost.
BOOH CO Cruizin'.JPG

·
Registered
503 Posts
welcome from New York. Enjoy the forum and stop by often. Happy trails. ride safe.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,550 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas, actually Katy. Glad you joined us. Keep us informed on you progress of getting a bike. Have fun and snoop around.

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha Vstar 950 yamaha xvs95cte(g
27 Posts
-John
I love my 950 but if I were as big as you, I’d go for the 1300

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
203 Posts
Hello john and welcome form Virginia. I was just in your neck of the woods picking up my Stratoliner in Woodville.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to motorcycling!

I have owned several bikes of varying sizes including Suzuki Boulevard 1500cc set up to tour and as small as a vstar 650 classic. Im currently riding a vstar 950. It is my favorite. It is plenty powerful. Ive never yearned for more power on her. It is super agile, stops on a dime, and very responsive. However, I am 6'00" 250. If I was much bigger, I might want something a little bigger. Not for power, but just for ergonomics and comfort. Either way, you cant go wrong! The yamahas are great bikes.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ditto what @Ab7515 says. I have the 950. 5'10ish. The 950 sets pretty low. The 950 is a great bike but it depends on what type of riding you do. I do not ride freeways. Country roads are it for me. If I was traveling the highways I would want something with a fairing and a little more power. The 950 has plenty of power for what I do but I would feel better if it had a 6th gear and a little more pep.. That is just me being picky but I love my 950!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts