Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on new tires for my VStar 1300 Tour. Mileage is important but not as important as handling to me. I am going on another long ride in Canada and need some new shoes. I had AVON Cobras but did not like them They were very slippery in the rain and I was not comfortable with them. Thinking Michelin Commander 11 or Metzler 880. Dealer says that they have had good luck with the Pirelli. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I love my Commander II's. Hardest part is finding them in stock :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
The local independent shop couldn't locate a Metzler ME 880 or ME 888 for me. They must be popular tires because their supplier is out until June 5th. I settled on the Avon AV72. I hope the slippery issue isn't too bad. I need a new rear tire in a serious way and couldn't wait until June 5th.

I would prefer the Metzler. A friend has had good luck with Metzler. They seem to be a harder rubber than the OEM Dunlops which BTW were $50 more expensive than the Metzler and $60 more than the Avon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just had a set of Shinko 777HD installed on my bike this past April and I can't speak on the wear as of yet but as far as grip they're great. So far they have done well in the rain and on muddy country roads.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I put Commander IIs on the Roadstar and have been very happy with them. Wear seems to be quite decent too.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm sorry know this may cause a slight ruckus, but I'm running double darkside. I have a General Altimax 190/55-15 car tire on the rear, and I put a 130/90-16 Perrelli Route 66 rear tire on the front of my 1100, and so far love it. Great ride. Haven't had it in the rain yet to see how the front handles, but they claim they are good on wet roads. I just put the Perrelli on this spring so don't even have 1000 miles on it yet. Will keep updated to let ya know how it goes. The rear handles the wet roads very well. (Ask me how I know). The bike handles now the way I always thought a cruiser should, although this is my first cruiser. And I used balance beads and there's no shake, wobble or vibration from tires. I think I found the tire combination that I will use if the tires are available next time I need a change. There are alot of different tires available for our bikes out there so good luck shopping.

·
Registered
417 Posts
15 miles on the Avon Cobra AV 72 were a big improvement in ride over the original Dunlop tire. $243 installed was the best they could do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have commander II on my 1300 and have close to 10000 miles on them and id say they are around 50% tread yet. Best tires I have ever had and ive had perellis metlzers dunlops and these now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got a new set of Commander II's put on today.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished 5400 mile ride through the Canadian Maritime provinces and the New England States on my VStar 1300 Tour with Commander II tires. Very impressed with the handling both wet and dry. Big improvement over the Avon Cobras that I had on the bike. Definitely will buy these again. You can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Turning over 23,000 miles on my Pirellis. Ride well and take to the road like glue. Don't track or squirrel about. Ready for a new set in a few miles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Same as B-spider - Michelin Commander II's on my Roadliner...and to sonysnek, just curious as to why you decided to place a car tire on the back of your bike? And also curious on your comment, "The bike handles now the way I always thought a cruiser should". What's your definition of how a cruiser should handle? Since that rear tire is more square on the edges versus a normal bike tire, I would think the handling would suffer. But maybe that's how you like it.......your bike, your money, hope your tire choices don't throw you down the road.
Rubber Side Down folks ! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The local independent shop couldn't locate a Metzler ME 880 or ME 888 for me. They must be popular tires because their supplier is out until June 5th. I settled on the Avon AV72. I hope the slippery issue isn't too bad. I need a new rear tire in a serious way and couldn't wait until June 5th.

I would prefer the Metzler. A friend has had good luck with Metzler. They seem to be a harder rubber than the OEM Dunlops which BTW were $50 more expensive than the Metzler and $60 more than the Avon.
i don't think metzler makes tires in the 1300 sizes, my 650 metzlers got old before i could wear em out, there's over 25 thousand on em but the side wall has micro cracking, could have squeezed another 5000 if they wern't cracking.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey there Arsey. To answer yer posers, I have no definition for how a cruiser should handle, only what I thought they should feel like when riding. I like the sorta heavy stable feeling such as not feeling like it's going to fall over on every turn. And I did "alot" of research on the car tire before putting one on my machine. I also thought that tire being flat would make a big difference in the handling, but "in my opinion", it made it better. I can drag floorboards anytime and have no stability issues. The main reason for going Dark in the first place was, and is, cost of tires, and how long they last. I appreciate yer concern for my well being, but I have no fear of being thrown down the road because of my tire choice. Coming up on third season for this tire, still handles great, and lots of tread left. Not sure exactly how many miles on it at the moment. I will keep an eye open for any cracking or checking, but for now all is good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey there sonysnek - thanks for the reply and glad to hear your tire mod is working for you. Nothing wrong with saving money, and if it works, great ! ! !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts