Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado and my stock seat is killing my @ss and my passenger complains about the back seat. I really need something more comfortable and maybe with a driver back rest, but that's not a deal breaker. So, what do ya'll recommend?

·
Registered
43 Posts
New Seat

I've owned multiple seats. Mustang, Ultimate and Travelcade are the main brands. Recently purchased an 08 Roadliner and the first thing I bought (off this forum) was Ultimate seats W/driver backrest. I'm a big guy and the stocks seats have never worked out, especially on long trips. There should be some good deals available on Ebay or various forums on a set of good used seats for your ride. That's my experience for what it's worth. Good Luck.

P.S Passenger floorboards also make a big difference in comfort if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put on the floorboards. That does help, but still need a seat. What about a gel pad? Have you tried one of those?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a stock seat with memory foam and gel pad covered in alligator skin. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
New Seat

I had a Mustang seat on my Valkyrie and it just seemed too hard. Took a 1200 mile trip to a rally in New Mexico and tried a gel pad on the way back. It helped but still wasn't comfortable enough for me.

I know aftermarket seats are expensive. There's a couple places that you can send your stock seats to have them redone at a lower cost. I've heard some good results. I think one company is called Pacific Coast? I'm sure there's riders on this forum who know more about that than I do. Hopefully, someone can give you the information.

Also, check in your area to see if any local upholsterers have experience doing motorcycle seats. I know it's common to add a layer of memory foam or even a gel insert.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm in the market for a new seat also. I'm very seriously considering the Ultimate seat for two reasons - it fits just like the stock seat with no adjustments [at least for the 950s], and it comes highly recommended. The price is $540 for the solo seat with backrest [no studs]. Another option that I've heard that's less expensive is the Airhawk seat pad. I considered that but I want a more permanent solution, and should the Ultimate seat not work then maybe I'll look at an Airhawk.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
some riders use a removable sheep skin cover just for the longer rides, but for me i'm installing a gel pad under the upholstery, my iron but only get's sore after 200 miles on the 650.. i'v heard the 950s have real bad seats

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good morning guys---

Just a reminder, with Ultimate Seats, you've got 14 days from delivery/installation to make sure that you love the seat. If you don't, give us a call and let us know it's coming back. It's that easy. We don't stick you with a purchase that you aren't happy with.

Best,

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello Freedom, I just sent my stock seats to Russell Day-Long for an upgrade. I've ridden on the Mustang for a while and it is much better than the stock seat. Originally I could run about 30 minutes on stock and 3-4 hours on the Mustang before I started to get uncomfortable. Here's a word of advice. Get the highest quality most expensive seat you can, right from the get go. By the time you spend money putting on gel pads, memory foam, and airhawks ($200), you're going to have spent as much money as you would have for a high quality seat. If you're looking at a single seat $500-$1000 will more than do the trick. Its better than dropping that same amount on add-ons only to be disappointed in the end and out of cash. +1 for ultimate. I've never sat on one but any place that will back their product with a 100% money back guarantee is worth the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dave (Ultimate),
Any chance of a sale anytime soon on the solo seat w/backrest? I was told you don't offer military discounts, but if there are any savings I could get I'd pop on it now vs later.

·
Registered
434 Posts
+1 on the ultimate seats. I've had a mustang and wasn't impressed. It was to hard and I was only comfortable for about an hour before I had to walk it off. Got my ultimate used for a steal and love it! Will never use anything else!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've had my stock seat re-done twice, tried the Corbin, Mustang and Ultimate on my 1100. Also tried AirHawk seat pad. Ultimate has been the best, but not by much over Mustang. I also got the adjustable backrest with the Ultimate and that's nice on long rides for the back.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Buying a seat is a crap shoot. No ass is shaped like your ass. This makes it hard to take advice from others on the best seat. The best thing is to go and try to sit on all the different ones and see what you like best.

With all that said, most manufacturers make seats that "sort of" fit everyone. It's kind of hit and miss depending on how you are built. I had about every brand imaginable on my 1100, and ended up liking the Corbin far better than the others because of the seating position it put me in. The Mustang was by far the worst for me...it's so fat that it put enough pressure on my thighs to cut circulation and make my legs to to sleep. They weren't as bad on other makes of bikes, but on the 1100 it was a horrible fit for me. The stock seat was better.

But with the Corbin...it still wasn't perfect and long rides really took their toll. I ended up building my own, conformed to my butt...that is by far the best I've had so far. Hopefully you can find a factory that fits you.... but like I said... it's a crap shoot unless you try them out first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dave (Ultimate),
Any chance of a sale anytime soon on the solo seat w/backrest? I was told you don't offer military discounts, but if there are any savings I could get I'd pop on it now vs later.
Bman950-
No sales coming up. Let us know during your order, and we'll provide the ride-on rain covers at no additional fee.

Best,

Dave

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Contact Rick Butler. You can find him on the Royal Star site. He has rebuilt three seats for me. On a RSTD, GOLDWING and recently my Vstar 950 Tourer. You will save hundreds of dollars. He charges $75.00 total for rider and passenger plus freight. I've bought after market seats and after spending hundreds was still not happy, at least for the cost.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Seats are tricky stock seat was horrible for me the Danny Grey seat I loved the feel but only for about 20 miles. The current Saddle man explorer I get about an hour and a half of before i cant stand it. I think for most people the bike may just not be a good fit overall. I wish i could go up and back but all the seats out there tend to put you low and forward.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts