Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to start building some new digs for the bikes, in the form of a 16'x20' shed in the side yard; it was originally going to be 20'x30' but we thought that would perhaps be more than necessary. (well that, plus we just sank 16K into our Africa trip a couple months ago) So, I'm curious as to what you folks have for storage space for your rides... do you just leave them out in the elements? Or fortunate enough to have a garage to stick 'em in? Or a separate shed? Or perhaps the ultimate home for your wheels... a man-cave-slash-bike-shed?

Reason I ask is because I am hoping to go with the latter. (though I shudder at the term "man cave"!) Our present storage shed is a mere 8'x12', so unfortunately the toys must stay out in the elements (although with quality bike covers) all summer. We had big plans to start building the new shed last summer, but I need help to do so, (I am unable to do much physical work myself due to a permanent spinal injury) and no helpers could be found on our little island. But we need to have a proper home for the bikes this year... no more putting it off, so the Missus and I will have the summer to putter away at building the new shed.

I am hoping that 16'x20' will be large enough for the two bikes and garden tractor, a nice little workshop area, and still have room for a small couch, beer fridge, big-screen TV/audio system, etc, to make it into a comfy little, well... you know... that cave thing we talked about... This photo shows the size/style of building we want. (pic borrowed from Internet) So, do you think this would be big enough for this purpose, or should we maybe stick to our original plan of 20'x30'?

Any pointers/suggestions, construction tips would be very much appreciated! Would love to see pictures of where you keep your bikes. Once we get going on the shed I will post some pics of our progress

Glen

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would go bigger. I have my bike stored in a single car garage with the snow blower, lawn mower, a small workbench and a rolling toolbox. Also a bin for a cord of firewood and some shelving units. Ladders and other tools hanging on the walls and a couple of adirondack chairs. Not much room left.

You have 2 bikes and want a man cave too so I would go bigger. My single car garage is about 14 X 22 and there's just enough space to get the lawn mower past the bike so I can cut the grass.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go bigger. I have my bike stored in a single car garage with the snow blower, lawn mower, a small workbench and a rolling toolbox. Also a bin for a cord of firewood and some shelving units. Ladders and other tools hanging on the walls and a couple of adirondack chairs. Not much room left.

You have 2 bikes and want a man cave too so I would go bigger. My single car garage is about 14 X 22 and there's just enough space to get the lawn mower past the bike so I can cut the grass.
OK, but it's worth noting that I won't have a snowblower, lawn mower, rolling toolbox, firewood storage, ladders, nor Adirondack chairs. :wink:Just the two bikes, a small workbench, garden tractor, couch and fridge. (nothing big like a foosball table, bar, stripper pole,:surprise: etc) Everything else will be shelved on the wall, including TV, audio equipment, my photography, mementos, etc. At 16x20 it's a bit larger (by 12 sq/ft) than your garage. Plus there is about 200 more sq/ft of storage space in the loft (10'x20')

Thanks for your input BKnight; much appreciated!

Glen

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
dont want to change the subject, but just to interject: are you going to build it yourself, from lumber, have someone else build it, or get some form of kit?

I put up a garden shed several years ago, and I could buy one pre assembled, buy a kit from home depot or Lowes, and for what those would have cost me I was able to build one from lumber twice as big for the same cost, built with FAR better materials, and put together much better. It took me a month of weekends and long evenings, but it was well worth it.

The deciding factor for me is 200 sq feet or less is a utility shed and not a "building". So mine is 12 x 16". Putting up a garage would require more permits and inspections and rules.

I can get my bike in there for the winter, but during riding season the bike is stored in the garage (driveway access).

One other thing I learned from do-it-yourself: If the roof angle is 20° or less things will stay on the roof without sliding off (including your self). IF the roof angle is 30° or more then NOTHING will stay on the roof without being nailed or tied down, the plywood, the shingles, your tools, nails... you have to have cross supports as you work, and you have to hold everything in place.

The difference means doing the whole roof from rafters to finished shingles in about a day, to taking about a week.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Total cost about $1200 eight years ago.
Other than raking the roof too steep (long story) the only other mistake I made:

the outside walls are panels that have a fake board line cut into them. They sorta look like the siding on my house. Since the lines ran the length of the panels I figured they would seal better if I put them vertical. Every edge lines up with a 2x4 that way. Problem is the plywood they are made of had more grain levels running the long way, and by putting them vertical they tended to bow/warp a bit. If I had put the the other (right) way they would not have warped, but I dont know how I would have sealed the edges?

photos from start to finish:

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Total cost about $1200 eight years ago.

photos from start to finish:
Looks great, KCW!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
88 Posts
camperbc - I like what you've selected. I use a CycleShell cover for my bike [950 Tourer] that is custom made in Colorado. You mentioned that you want a nice little workshop area which to me says go bigger. You'll need space to maneuver two bikes plus have your tools readily accessible and I wouldn't cheat myself on the workshop area, especially if you're doing anything in the non-riding season. You don't mention what bikes you have but I believe you'll do better with a little more space for a decent workshop. That's my dime....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
camperbc - I like what you've selected. I use a CycleShell cover for my bike [950 Tourer] that is custom made in Colorado. You mentioned that you want a nice little workshop area which to me says go bigger. You'll need space to maneuver two bikes plus have your tools readily accessible and I wouldn't cheat myself on the workshop area, especially if you're doing anything in the non-riding season. You don't mention what bikes you have but I believe you'll do better with a little more space for a decent workshop. That's my dime....
Thanks for your reply, Bman950. As I am not very mechanically inclined, by "little workship" area what I really mean is someplace other than outdoors for doing my oil changes and other basic regular maintenance. As I am currently performing these procedures on my tiny (8x12) back patio, I don't really require a whole lot more space than basically the amount of real estate it takes to park the two bikes on. (I currently park both bikes on the aforementioned tiny 8x12 patio, and they take up just over half of this space... so about 8x7!) We currently have a small 8x12 garden shed, which is actually large enough to house both bikes, (with space left over) but as the new shed will be well over 3X bigger than the old shed, and with the only other sizable items being my lawn tractor and a couch, my drawn-to-scale floorplan shows a significant amount of unused space.

In my little "bike maintenance corner" I will have an 8' long workbench, with cabinets/drawers beneath, and more cabinets above, but these things will only take up an area the size of the workbench itself, so only 16 sq/ft of floorspace. I think I inadvertently made my post sound like I was planning an actual "work shop" in addition to a space to store the bikes, but in reality I think 16x20 will be much more than adequate for us. Sheesh, that works out to an area of 10x16 to park each bike! ... (well, plus the tractor and couch of course!)

Here's a couple pics of my babies parked in a space of just 8'x7'.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Hi camperbc,
Just finished having this put up at our place. We went with a 20 by 20 with the slab being 21 square and 12 foot driveway. The doors are 8 by 7. It's yet to be wired up, however it'll house the bikes and the lift on one side, her Mustang on the other. I'll have plenty of room as the lawn equipment is in a separate shed that was already there. IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3460.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Keith, we are just about to break ground on our new shed construction. Just waiting for our guy with the backhoe to come in and level things out a little, prior to starting the floor. I will keep updating this thread as we progress. (hoping you might have some bigger pics of your garage!)
:wink:

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Hi camperbc,
Just finished having this put up at our place. We went with a 20 by 20 with the slab being 21 square and 12 foot driveway. The doors are 8 by 7. It's yet to be wired up, however it'll house the bikes and the lift on one side, her Mustang on the other. I'll have plenty of room as the lawn equipment is in a separate shed that was already there. View attachment 71802 View attachment 71810

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*UPDATE*
Well, we waited two weeks for the backhoe guy, and by today he still had not shown up! Sheesh! It is so hard to find anyone to work around here, as there is so much construction going on around Fogo Island this year. And even when they say they are coming, they will blow you off for a bigger job. So we have hired a new backhoe guy who has promised to come next Wednesday... and his rates are much more reasonable than the no-show guy. So if all goes according to plan, (fingers crossed!) I will begin construction of the floor by next weekend! We have decided to build a bigger shed, at 16'x24', (rather than the previously planned 16x20) plus we have decided not to store the tractor, lawnmower or generator in this shed. So now there will be tons of space for our two bikes... which means that I now have plenty of room for an actual "man cave", complete with a custom-built L-shaped bar with cabinets overhead, a built-in bar fridge, seating area, (sofa/chairs, coffee table, end tables), the obligatory Newfie dartboard, a surround sound entertainment system/55" LED TV, (it just isn't getting used in our living room) the whole nine yards.

We will be pleased if we can get it closed in by the end of September, and can then putter away at finishing the insides (insulation, wiring, drywall, flooring, etc) through the winter months, and finish up the exterior (siding, trim, shutters, lights) next spring. We almost did a 180... nearly decided to simply slap together a quick, tiny 10x12 shed just to stick the two bikes in for the winter, and save us about twenty grand, but then we both came to our senses and decided to make something decent which we won't outgrow anytime soon. Now my only wish is that my spinal issues won't flare up and prevent me from working away at this project, because the poor Missus is usually completely burnt out by the time she gets home from work each day. And we're already several weeks behind schedule!

Wish us luck!
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Here's wishing you luck camperbc, now once the project is complete, I suggest a huge forum get together in your shed and then go on a group ride to check out the countryside! Wadda ya say members?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts