Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow Strat riders. I just got a (NIB) New in box lol ! 07 Stratoliner for a good price. Full warranty. And all I can say is WOW !.
What a ride.
Now just a few comments and questions.

I rode it hard the first few days, and had the typical fun, of figuring out all the power. Oh and I believe in a hard working breakin, or breakin like you ride it but that's another topic.

I have realized how fast the gas gauge goes towards empty, I had around 32mpg the first weekend with all the power exploration lol.
Now I'm relaxing and the bike is settling down for me, I'm riding it to work, gas for today was at about 39 mpg. Is this the typical mileage I can expect.
I'm hoping for some improvement after the breakin is completed.
And if so, I'm figuring on around 140-160 miles before hitting the lowgas alarm ! Am I in the ballpark with my figures so far. Oh and I'm a big guy
6'6" and 290. Will be solo most of the time, GF is about 110lbs but only a part time passenger.

Anyway, just some basic figures would help me get my brain engaged with this big twins MPG.

Oh and I'm a returning Big Yamaha owner, still have an old 84 XVZ12 Venture. I'm selling it for parts or rebuilding.

Duane

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the fun house Duane! This is a sweet place we have here with a ton of great information and awesome people. Can't help with the MPG questions, I have an 1100. Congrats on the new bike and keep the rubber side down...oh, and I'm just outside B'more, where in Maryland are you?

-Chas

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jarhead, thanks for the welcome.

I'm in Eldersburg, just south of Westminster. Right between HW97 and Rt 32.
I'll figure out the MPG the hardway lol. I know everyone rides a bit different, I'm a 99% high power rider or at least I used to be.
This Strat gives me a whole new understanding of Raw power.
So I'm learning to go a bit easier on the go control. My last machine, as mentioned was a 84 Venture. And it was like a big nice sounding giant electric motor, that would go so fast, that people would wonder where I went after first spotting me getting on the road. LOL.

Oh And I'm a retired Navy man myself, should I assume your a former Marine ?.....
I grew up in a Marine family in Oceanside CA. My dad retired in 72.
I retired in 96.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Oh And I'm a retired Navy man myself, should I assume your a former Marine ?.....
I grew up in a Marine family in Oceanside CA. My dad retired in 72.
I retired in 96.
Yes Sir, I got out of the Corps in 97 to join the civilian world. You will find that you're going to fit in just find around here, we have quite a few folks on here that are former Navy.

I'm located up in Harford county, right off I-95 in Edgewood.

Semper Fi,

Chas

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome Duane. The Marine said it all. Enjoy this gathering of ours. A couple of the big bikes should be showing up any time now. I think one out somewhere in Sturgis and the rest probably have yet to heave out and trice up. :D

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I'm riding it to work, gas for today was at about 39 mpg. Is this the typical mileage I can expect.
Hiya Sailor...:D

My Strat gives me a reliable 42mpg under normal riding conditions, up to 50mpg if I'm strolling along smelling the flowers, down to 32mpg if I'm romping 75-80.

...and that's on E-10. Getting hard to find 90 octane around the cornfields.

Please don't associate with the Grunts; we try and keep a civil forum here.....;):):)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from where ever i might be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for a nice bunch of greatings.

And also thanks for the many details provided, I was wondering about the 91 octane requirements, but already noticed a bunch of riders using everything burnable lol.
And I haven't heard a Hiya sailor in many years lol...

As far as associating with the other services, we all wore pretty much the same cami's. I never did any shipboard duty my whole 20 years. But I can't tell you what I did do lol !. not joking.

Anywho. Thanks again. And I'm already waiting on my fairing and all the other goodies, to get this monster dressed properly lol ! I'm a dresser guy so kind of spoiled having someplace for my helmets and cowboy hats lol...

Duane.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hiya Sailor...:D

My Strat gives me a reliable 42mpg under normal riding conditions, up to 50mpg if I'm strolling along smelling the flowers, down to 32mpg if I'm romping 75-80.

...and that's on E-10. Getting hard to find 90 octane around the cornfields.

Please don't associate with the Grunts; we try and keep a civil forum here.....;):):)
Now Springer, I didn't pull out the squid jokes yet. I thought I would ease Duane into the fold.

Being one of the few Devil Dogs on this forum in a sea of squid it does make it a challenge though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow you were going easy on me lol !

Joking, it's all in fun, now that were retired, and not shipping out to go somewhere bad in the world, everything else is gravy. I miss the fun from all my former military teammates. (All services) It's what still ties us together out here in the Sheeples world lol.
Now I'll have to explain that one lol !

Duane.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have people who don't believe me when I tell them there are words I can't use for 75 years. It sounds silly, but it's true.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ditto !

Yep, weld the door shut on your cell ! lol.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I have people who don't believe me when I tell them there are words I can't use for 75 years.

To include (but not limited to):

"Please"
"Thank you"
"Anchors Aweigh"
"humility"

And here I thought that was just a Marine thing...:D:D:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes Sir, I got out of the Corps in 97 to join the civilian world. You will find that you're going to fit in just find around here, we have quite a few folks on here that are former Navy.

I'm located up in Harford county, right off I-95 in Edgewood.

Semper Fi,

Chas
Hey Jarhead im right up the street from you in bel air

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard dcody40. Great to hear from another liner owner. Your milage is right on.If you ride it hard you pay hard. Mine ranges from 35 to 47 depending on my how I ride it. Sounds like you broke it in right.Ride it it like you stole it lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts