Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new tank for my 1100. All I see for sale is tanks for 650s. Will they fit my bike?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,231 Posts
The 1100 fuel tanks that are in pretty good shape are getting challenging to find. Ebay and online motorcycle salvage yards are where most here have found them. You will look one day on eBay and there are none, then the next day there might be several. Why does you fuel tank need replacing? Internal rust can be cleaned and coated to fix. Most dents and dings can be fixed like any other body panel on a car. With the prices being high on fuel tanks, fixing it is a much better economic way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is off topic a little, but I've heard of tank dents being repaired by filling them with water and freezing it. The water expands when frozen and pushed the dent out in theory. Any truth to this? (anybody)?

:unsure:

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,231 Posts
This is off topic a little, but I've heard of tank dents being repaired by filling them with water and freezing it. The water expands when frozen and pushed the dent out in theory. Any truth to this? (anybody)?

:unsure:
It has worked with limited success. Issue is some of the welds on tank will split open sometimes. Also if you fill it up enough to do it, the gas cap is another weak spot. Another trick that works sometimes is dry ice, depending on how severe the dent is. Metal has a molecular memory. You place the dry ice on dent, the rapid temperature change excited the molecules, when it warms back up it will want to go back to original shape. I've seen it work on hail damaged vehicles with some success. The old fashion bondo method is still probably the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts