Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I responded with the below info to an Eluder post. For those of you new TC owners that may not see it, below is a path to the first aftermarket parts I've seen for the TC. Not many, but it's a start.

I tried to include a link but it wouldn't let me. Go to Bigbikeparts.com then Product by Bike, Yamaha , and finally Star Venture/Eluder to view the available accessories.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I responded with the below info to an Eluder post. For those of you new TC owners that may not see it, below is a path to the first aftermarket parts I've seen for the TC. Not many, but it's a start.

I tried to include a link but it wouldn't let me. Go to Bigbikeparts.com then Product by Bike, Yamaha , and finally Star Venture/Eluder to view the available accessories.
I’ve seen them, and like you said “not much” YET! Did you know that Yamaha is now offering Arlen Ness designed accessories? I personally don’t like them because it’s more of this “blacked out” crap, not to mention that they’re WAY over priced IMHO.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve seen them, and like you said “not much” YET! Did you know that Yamaha is now offering Arlen Ness designed accessories? I personally don’t like them because it’s more of this “blacked out” crap, not to mention that they’re WAY over priced IMHO.
I have seen the Ness stuff and am also not a fan. For the TC/Eluder I'm really only interested, at this point, in aftermarket seat and windshield options. Although I do like the Hopnel heat deflector and tank bra.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have seen the Ness stuff and am also not a fan. For the TC/Eluder I'm really only interested, at this point, in aftermarket seat and windshield options. Although I do like the Hopnel heat deflector and tank bra.
What’s wrong with your seat? Is it a height issue or are looking for something more comfortable?
If you’ve seen the seat on my bike it’s a stick seat that was re-upholstered. They added 1” ballistic gel & foam without raising the stock seat height and it’s VERY reasonable. No where near what you’d pay for a Corbin or Mustang seat. It also maintained the heater function as well.
Regarding “windshield”, are you looking for taller or shorter?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What’s wrong with your seat? Is it a height issue or are looking for something more comfortable?
If you’ve seen the seat on my bike it’s a stick seat that was re-upholstered. They added 1” ballistic gel & foam without raising the stock seat height and it’s VERY reasonable. No where near what you’d pay for a Corbin or Mustang seat. It also maintained the heater function as well.
Sorry for being a bit confusing. I don't own a TC or Eluder yet. I'm going to be purchasing a touring bike around the end of the year and am doing quite a bit of research...not only on the bikes but any currently available parts and accessories. It's currently between the Eluder and the BMW Grand America which is having some significant handling issues based on the design. Based on bikes I own or have used for long distance trips, seats and windshields are typically changed. The seat for comfort and the shield for coverage or buffeting issues. I'm leaning towards the Eluder, so it definitely needs some taller windshield options although the Yamaha accessory option is 6" taller and might be perfect. Seats, as you know, are very subjective. I would give a new seat several long day trials, but for me stock seats usually don't cut it. I haven't had the opportunity to ride either of Yamaha's bikes yet, but the dealer should have demo bikes towards the end of the month. I'm hoping Russel Cycle Products comes out with a seat as well as Ultimate Seats. I've used an Ultimate seat for years and I can ride multiple full days in total comfort.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry for being a bit confusing. I don't own a TC or Eluder yet. I'm going to be purchasing a touring bike around the end of the year and am doing quite a bit of research...not only on the bikes but any currently available parts and accessories. It's currently between the Eluder and the BMW Grand America which is having some significant handling issues based on the design. Based on bikes I own or have used for long distance trips, seats and windshields are typically changed. The seat for comfort and the shield for coverage or buffeting issues. I'm leaning towards the Eluder, so it definitely needs some taller windshield options although the Yamaha accessory option is 6" taller and might be perfect. Seats, as you know, are very subjective. I would give a new seat several long day trials, but for me stock seats usually don't cut it. I haven't had the opportunity to ride either of Yamaha's bikes yet, but the dealer should have demo bikes towards the end of the month. I'm hoping Russel Cycle Products comes out with a seat as well as Ultimate Seats. I've used an Ultimate seat for years and I can ride multiple full days in total comfort.
Oh, ok. I was under the impression you’d already owned one. Thanks for clarifying.
Do you mind if I ask why the SVTC is not on your short list vs a BMW?
Also, you can get the seat done as I did for a fraction of the cost of the “big name” ones you mentioned and it’s every bit as comfy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, ok. I was under the impression you’d already owned one. Thanks for clarifying.
Also, you can get the seat done as I did for a fraction of the cost of the “big name” ones you mentioned and it’s every bit as comfy.
I place the Eluder at the top of the list vs. the SVTC based on my current riding situation. I very seldom have a passenger(GF doesn't like to ride). About 60% of rides are day trips or 1-2 day overnighters. This doesn't include running errands on the bike. The other 40% of use are trips of a week or more. During these longer trips I would like a touring trunk, but the tall backrest with soft luggage works for me. If the trunk on the SVTC were removable, I'd be all over the SVTC. So for 40% of my riding the trunk(82 pound difference) for me is unnecessary and unwanted. Thanks for the seat info. I may pursue that option first if necessary. I've taken the BMW Grand America out of the running due to significant stability issues where IMO a redesign of the faring is needed to correct the issue. They just released the specs on the 2019 model and no changes were made.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I place the Eluder at the top of the list vs. the SVTC based on my current riding situation. I very seldom have a passenger(GF doesn't like to ride). About 60% of rides are day trips or 1-2 day overnighters. This doesn't include running errands on the bike. The other 40% of use are trips of a week or more. During these longer trips I would like a touring trunk, but the tall backrest with soft luggage works for me. If the trunk on the SVTC were removable, I'd be all over the SVTC. So for 40% of my riding the trunk(82 pound difference) for me is unnecessary and unwanted. Thanks for the seat info. I may pursue that option first if necessary. I've taken the BMW Grand America out of the running due to significant stability issues where IMO a redesign of the faring is needed to correct the issue. They just released the specs on the 2019 model and no changes were made.
I haven’t ridden the Eluder, but if it handles anything like the SVTC, you’re going to be very happy with it!
When are you looking at buying?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t ridden the Eluder, but if it handles anything like the SVTC, you’re going to be very happy with it!
When are you looking at buying?
This looks like the best choice especially in the handling. When I started my research another V-Twin was at the bottom of my list, but Yamaha's new offerings have changed my mind especially compared with the other currently available touring bikes. I'm looking to purchase towards the end of the year, so I may hold out for the 2019 models. If there aren't any note worthy changes or preferred color choices, I'll grab a 2018. Normally one would expect the new model year to be showcased around Sept/Oct. According to the dealer since the bikes were a late release, they may not come out until the first quarter of 2019. Just speculation on his part.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here is a recent shootout of the big cruisers including the Eluder. Everyone seem to like the Eluder, but when asked if they could buy one, no one picked the Eluder. That says a lot.......

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Here is a recent shootout of the big cruisers including the Eluder. Everyone seem to like the Eluder, but when asked if they could buy one, no one picked the Eluder. That says a lot.......

Most of them said the Eluder was what they’d wanna “just eat up miles on” and that it was “extremely refined”. Their choice in “styling” just proves how individual it really is. I heard the Eluder mentioned in a positive light more than many of the others.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNt2NTBPeDw
Thanks for posting that...just watched it again.

I was leaning heavily towards the BMW Bagger. I've done about an hour on one and loved it. I've spent a couple days riding the sport touring GT with the same engine...love the engine just not the riding position. Since the Bagger did not offer a passenger back rest (a short one is now available), that was a deal breaker for me.

The current issue with the BMW Bagger and Grand America(top case version) is sever stability issues when following behind large vehicles at freeway speeds. A number of owners are experiencing this issue, and BMW is currently looking into it. Most issues are with the Grand America which they knew had stability issues due to the top case combined with the sever angle of the floorboards. Their initial solution when they released the bike was to restrict the speed from 160mph to a max of about 100mph on the Grand America. If the bike is loaded for touring, recommended max speed is 80mph. I'm very interested in how they finally solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree thanks for posting that. I think the Eluder won. Besides beauty almost everyone said if they wanted to eat up miles with comfort it was the Eluder.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think that many times people are just drawn in by the “aura” or “status” of BMW or HD.
Just my take.
I agree, for myself, it is the BMW...those three letters during high school years, were almost mystical for myself....like if I ever owned one...my personal 'status' would somehow rise, just in the owning of the BMW mark. I think, that there is a little bit of that, in all of us....whatever pushes the personal button...that's what you are going to buy. If I could have afforded a BMW motorcycle while yet in high school, (yeah...right Joe....) I would have been on one. I still have a very soft 'touch' for the air-cooled BMW opposed twin...and in fact...(my wife doesn't know this....) on the picture I supplied of our Hell, Michigan ride, the friend of mine that has that RS 1100....I told him...that if he ever wishes to sell it....to please give me the first chance to pick it up. My wife doesn't have a problem with me owning two concurrent motorcycles, but it would be Divorce City, if I ever...ever had three in the garage. So...my 'since high school' lust for a BMW Boxer Twin...my venerable Kawa, would have to be put upon the block... :(

Life's motorcycling twists 'n turns...LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts