Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 7300 miles, my Factory Dunlops (on my 2009 1100 Custom), are at the wear mark. I'm not thrilled with that so am looking for different tires that are a little less expensive to purchase and will have a longer life. My previous bike had tires that lasted closer to 17K and cost under $100 (in 1999) for the set.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm considering the Bridgestone Spitfire S11.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,270 Posts
a cheaper tire that lasts longer? those are usually opposing numbers. i would recommend the Dunlop E3 because i have that on my rear. over 10K miles and it still has plenty of thread on it. not even close to replacing it yet although it doesn't quite grip on the sides as well as it did in that first 1K miles or so.

moved to tire forum

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
a cheaper tire that lasts longer? those are usually opposing numbers.
Yeah, for sure.
To paraphrase Forrest "tires are like a box of chocolates" Had a set of Bridgestone that I flat out hated, I really wanted to trade my 1100 off, thought the bike was a piece of ****, then got a set of Metz, I got a new bike! all for the cost of a set of tires.

I do not believe anyone is the best, or worst, try em, when you find the best for you,and your bike likes, STICK WITH THAT.
Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've got 9 thou on my stock Dunlops and they are still in very very good condition.:confused: Different riders get different results I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me clarify a little bit. With the factory Dunlop k555s that are needing to be replaced, my cost per mile (based on the dealer's service department rate), is ~0.055 cents per mile. I'd like to get that down in the 0.025 - 0.040 range.

The price of the tires needs to be in the 200.00 range for the set OR the milage of the tire needs to be higher for this to happen. Road conditions are 99% freeway but here in Seattle, we are known for not having the best road conditions...

·
Registered
626 Posts
The faster you drive the more the rubber heats up and wears out. The harder the person is on the gas the more it's going to wear out. I talked to a guy yesterday with a raider who says he is only getting 4,000km out of his tires, as he says he is on the gas and likes to get out of the hole. Mileage will very with every rider.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've only got 3k miles on my Metz ME 880 and I love them. Don't even notice any wear yet. I think I'll get at least 12k on them. I paid $290 for front and rear installed.

My mechanic recommended IRC Wild Flares before I told him I really wanted the Metz. I just read so much praise for the Metz that I was willing to pay a little more for them. He told me that a lot of his customers that ride on the IRCs report 12k+. I believe it would have cost me low $200 for front and rear installed.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'll be hitting the 16k mile mark within the next couple days and my factory installed dunlops are just a hair past the wear mark. I've started shopping for a new tire about a week ago. Anyone know anything about the Continentals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts