Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to run my 1100 in for a new rear tire. Already got the tire, and a shop that will doing t for no retarded extra fee for not getting the tire from them. Bout $60 for mount and balance on the rear, plus the labor. What can I look at roughly price wise?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought my tires online and I had a guy mount them both front and back for $120 that was he took them off the bike and mounted the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Whoa - those are some hefty prices.

My nearest Yamaha dealer here in St. Louis charges $20 per tire if I bring in the wheel and tire. Only $35 if I bring in the bike.

I took in the tires/wheels for the Strat and walked out for $40 (I vaguely recall I paid them an extra $10 for something they did extra, but I forget what it was).

When the 1100 Classic is ready for the front tire, I'll just take it in for $20 - but I might let them pull the rear wheel and put back the driveshaft for an extra $15 on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whoa - those are some hefty prices.

My nearest Yamaha dealer here in St. Louis charges $20 per tire if I bring in the wheel and tire. Only $35 if I bring in the bike.

I took in the tires/wheels for the Strat and walked out for $40 (I vaguely recall I paid them an extra $10 for something they did extra, but I forget what it was).

When the 1100 Classic is ready for the front tire, I'll just take it in for $20 - but I might let them pull the rear wheel and put back the driveshaft for an extra $15 on the rear wheel.
Those are really good prices.
Average $25 per wheel if you bring the wheel in and $50 with bike. Custom shops will charge more and independent shops less. Dealers usually charge per hr what ever their hourly rate is, about 1/2 hr fronts and little more for the rears.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The shop here near my work wanted to charge me 1 hour labor on my Honda 250 for each, front and rear, at $75/hr. I did take the rear wheel in so they only charged me $50, but the full $75 for the front because I took the whole bike in. After seeing the prices you guys are quoting, and knowing they're going to charge me more for my 1100, I'm definitely finding a different shop!

Just got off the phone with the same guys: 130/90-16 Metzeler ME880 for 116.29 and 52.50 for mount and balance with the tire on the bike... Little high on the labor but the price is right on the tire...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bought my front from Dennis Kirk for about $90, Dark Side rear from Discount Tire for $120. Bought a couple of $10 spoons and changed 'em myself(spoke rims) for free. Used Dynabeads for balancing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Change my own tires as well, have been for years. When I rode sport bike I found the dealers were good at marking the rims :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Miescha, I may need to switch Yamaha dealers in St. Louis. I bought the tires from them and paid $110 to have them mount and balance on the bike.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bought my front from Dennis Kirk for about $90, Dark Side rear from Discount Tire for $120. Bought a couple of $10 spoons and changed 'em myself(spoke rims) for free. Used Dynabeads for balancing.
Sounds like the way to go to me.;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just had a rear put on my 1300 and the total price, with tire was 285.00

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did some more calling around. A shop about 30 minutes away quoted me 60 bucks with bringing the entire bike, but they can't do it till the 17th of July. So I called a local shop.....they said they charge double if I bring my own tire and I'd be looking at over 400 just for the rear! The other dealerships refuse to do it if you bring your own tire, or even if it's a bike you didn't buy from them. Looks like I'll hafta make it last a month yet!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did some more calling around. A shop about 30 minutes away quoted me 60 bucks with bringing the entire bike, but they can't do it till the 17th of July. So I called a local shop.....they said they charge double if I bring my own tire and I'd be looking at over 400 just for the rear! The other dealerships refuse to do it if you bring your own tire, or even if it's a bike you didn't buy from them. Looks like I'll hafta make it last a month yet!

Man. I am planning on doing my own changes from now on but if I were facing those options I would definitely be doing it myself....talk about legalized robbery.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Dam, Where are you at so I know never to move there. lol. Is there so many bikes in your area needing tires that the shops don't need your business? Talk about bending people over:eek:

·
Registered
867 Posts
You guys do know Cycle Gear mounts tires right? $20 if it's with their tire $30 if you have your own. Those are off-bike prices. I don't believe they do it with it on bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts