Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of Shinko 777 WWW. I did a lot of reading about the Shinko tires. I read both good and bad reviews. As the price was so good I decided to dive them a try. I was still on the OEM Dunlop tires at 5,300 miles. I "thought" they were wearing great until I compared them with the new tires. The back was a lot thinner then I thought.

I put the bike on the jack stand, and removed the wheels. I had a local dealer switch the rubber for me... My 1st impressions of the tires, I love the look. I wanted an old school look and thats what I got. I took the wife for a little spin, when I noticed something interesting.. The small road bumps are not as noticeable, the ride seems to a lot smoother. My wife even commented that she didn't feel the road bumps, and the the ride is a lot smoother. So after 75 miles, I give the Shinko's two thumbs up...

Before

Getting ready to pull the tires

The finished product

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's funny a friend of mine doesn't like the white walls... This look may not be what others want... but its what I wanted and that's what makes life interesting.. :) Personalizing our bikes to suit our tastes... :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
love the white walls!
what are a set of those running?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
love the white walls!
what are a set of those running?
They were $175.00 delivered from Chapperal Motorsports. I did have to wait on the front tire as it was on back ordered from the MFG.

·
Registered
116 Posts
NICE! I have seen others with www's and I love the look. Next tire swap I am going for them too! Good job!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bike looks a lot better I think. Makes a huge difference. However you will spend plenty of time keeping them white.

Here's a trick though. Get them super clean and spotless, then take a rag and put some vegi oil on it, and put a light coat of that on the wheels. Will keep brake dust from attaching to it for a while, and makes it easier to clean the next time. Also consider switching to sintered brake pads, they make 10% of the dust of regular pads, and only cost a few bucks more. They also last considerably longer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's for the tip, as I couldn't believe the amount of brake dust I had to clean. Its one of things, you "think" your bike is clean... then you remove the wheels, and wow the amount of break dust supprised me...

I will be adding the vegi oil ASAP

·
Registered
570 Posts
That is why I read these posts, to get new ideas. So far,today, I have white wall tires that look sharpand snappy, vegie oil on the white walls for cleaning, sintered brake pad and painted foot rests for my wife. What a haul.

Both the bikes look super with you additions. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
412 Posts
bike looks great with the white walls! great choice. i ordered shinko white walls for my bobber project from chapparal and they were a great price as well.

interesting about the vegi oil tip... i'll have to try that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to give a quick update as to the status of the Shinko's... I am very pleased with the performance and wear of the tires, (not to mention the looks). Towards the end of the last riding season, the wife and I went to West Virginia's bike rally, Mountain Fest. We were hit by a huge down pour. It rained so hard we like many others took shelter under an express way overpass. We were soaked to the bone... the wife said we're already soaked, lets go back to the hotel, get a hot shower and a bite to eat.

So we loaded up and down the road we went... I knew the Shinko's were great on the dry pavement, but I was concerned about the wet stuff... My fears were quickly vanished, as the Shinko's stuck to the pavement. Never did I feel as though traction was an issue. After the first 5 miles in the down pour, I forgot about the tires, dropped the hammer and headed back to the hotel. Even the wife said she was amazed how well the tires held the road with all the water on the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put Shinkos on my '92 Vmax--even squeezed a 190 on the rear, and I've got nothing but good things to say about the brand. Great traction, wet or dry. Of course, the good prices are a bonus...

·
Registered
412 Posts
i've had a chance to put some miles on my shinko's now and i agree with the reviews. tires are pretty dang awesome. i couldn't believe how well my bobber handled in the corners. I would definitely recommend these tires. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wanted to put white walls on mine too. The mechanic looked at me and said they don't make them anymore. Jerk.
I have a 2000 V-star 1100 classic and have been reading the Shinko 777 WWW are great. They look exactly like what I've wanted on mine.
How big can you go in back? What about front size? Any info appreciated.

BacknSaddle

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went with the OEM sizes that were originally on the bike. I'm sorry but I don't know how much bigger you can go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts