Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my Metzler 880's installed. I used a new "express lube" here in Memphis and they were great. They came and got my bike while I was at work (hid a key for them) and dropped it off by the time I got home with new tires on it. Normally I'd have some friends help me change the tire, but for this kind of service on a 35 degree day it was well worth helping out a startup company with this kind of service.

All the guys at the shop loved the bike with all the chrome and the powerband it has and the look of it. They did say the 200/55 was about as wide as you were going to fit on the bike and they wrestled with it some getting the wide tire on there.

Just thought I'd share. Hopefully I'll have the guts to ride it some on and see how it handles... after all, 35 isn't that cold! I hear they handle different than the D205 that was on there, just need to get it out and try it out.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Great tires you had put on your bike.I run the same tires and size. They handle awesome. I'm just a little confused on what you said about the tire not fitting well.If you just pulled a 205 off the 200 is smaller.The 190 was a stock size. ???

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Thanks HD, I was thinking the same thing after reading the post. I also undetstand a 210 wide tire fits but a wider rim is recommended. I'm figureing the "struggle" was to fit the bead into the rim while being sure to protect the rim from any damage, some shops could care less about your rim. I had a Metz 260 on my warrior and used a shop that mounts ATV tires on a regular basis and that machine was very rim friendly. Next new 260 to go on had me wishing I went back to the ATV shop.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You would be correct had I been talking a 205 width, and not the stock D205 Dunlop. I edited the post to avoid confusion

hdeater, what kind of mileage have you seen from the Metzler so far?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering, is there really that big of a difference in the handling of these tires, or is it just the fact that it's not a flat-centered tire?

They are super easy to turn compared to the Dunlops. I've never driven on a new tire before, so I was just wondering if it was with any new tire or if these are really that much different.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've only got about 3000 miles on my rear and 4000 on the front. Both are wearing great so far. I run more air pressure than the factory specs.I put 42 psi in both tires.I ride pretty aggressive so the back tire may not last very long.I think the metz handle better and ride better than the stock dunlops.But any new tire will feel good out of the gate. The flat center your talking about is from a rider that does a lot of hwy cruising.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Use 'em up like potato chips. May as well be cheap.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-G850-Exedra-Cruiser-Radial/dp/B0012TROAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323778640&sr=8-2[/ame]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts