Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is Hunter. I bought a 2004 vstar 650 and have been putting it through it's paces. I bought this bike a few weeks ago after it had sat for a number of years without any love. It has about 3,400 miles on it. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the carb joints, and replaced all the hoses on the bike as they were cracking due to age. I got it back together and it ran like it ought to. I rode about 400 miles over the weekend and on Monday night after riding approximately 80 miles that day it started starving for fuel a few miles from the house. It ran beautifully and problem free for that first 480 miles. At first I thought I was hitting the reserve but after changing the petcock it still kept starving; eventually to the point that the engine stalled. I stopped and waited a few minutes and it fired back up. I can hear the fuel pump clicking. I probably had to pull over and restart the bike roughly 10 times to get the rest of the way home. Sometimes it would run for a few miles, other times only a tenth of a mile. It seems like the longer I waited between it stalling and restarting it, the farther I could run before it stalled again. In my experience, that points to a fuel filter, but I replaced it earlier in the week so I don't think that's it. The "starving" was not consistent enough to think that it might be a jet clogging up. It was half way through a tank of fuel, so I don't think it was a tank of bad gas either. I've checked the fuel lines and no obstructions or kinks. I'm going to check the fuses tomorrow and then make sure I have 12 volts getting to the fuel pump. I saw on one board that someone suggested checking the TPS. What do you folks think? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hunter

·
Registered
600 Posts
Any rust, sediment, or other type of sludge built up in the bottom of the tank itself?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum eh. Fuel starvation is a direct result of not posting a pic in your intro. We are more of a visual bunch here and a pic would help out in us helping to solve this issue :D. You should post your question in the vstar forum and one of our experts will be along and help out for sure. But I think your rinning on empty; 480 miles on one tank wow talk about great gas mileage ;).

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
sounds like vapor lock to me. check and see if tank vent is clogged. once a vacuum forms inside tank, fuel can't flow to carbs. after it sits for a bit air gets back into tank enough to allow fuel to flow again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. Glad you joined. I would say that's a great looking ride. But since its a invisible one I can't really see the crying Santa Claus you had airbrushed on the tank.. So I can't comment on the look.

My advice best advice is always stop and stops signs and look both ways before crossing..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts