Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Brought home a 2006 Roadliner today. I've been riding sport touring bikes for the last few years but my knees have been unhappy with the riding position. I decided to add a cruiser to the stable this year. I rode it about 70 miles home from where I purchased it and it was a pleasure the whole way.

I had a 99 Road Star several years ago and it was good but this Roadliner is better. Looking forward to many happy days on the Tennessee back roads this year. Looking forward to learning about this new bike with help from this forum.

Christey

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,337 Posts

·
2,468 Posts
Welcome from Great White North Christey. Glad you joined us. I once had a sport bike as well and now that I'm older I love my cruiser. Post a pic when you can!

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Hi Christey, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Love to see some pics of your bike. Where in our state are you located. I border Rhea/Bledsoe county. We’re planning a weekend trip in September, please feel free to join us and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
the Roadliner is better than the Road Star?!

Doh! Now I want a Roadliner!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
did you have problems with your Road Star? I have the impression there are no design issues with them.

Planning on getting a bike bigger than my 650 for road trips, have not decided what to get yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only real problems I had with it were due to the lack of maintenance by the previous owner. He had installed extra lights incorrectly and it kept blowing fuses so I had to track down the problem and basically rewire the front end. The brake fluid looked like chocolate milk and there was almost no gear oil in it. I bought it cheap tho so all in all it ended up fine.

As far as the ride, I liked the Road Star but the Roadliner is smoother and feels like a bit better weight distribution. It's all in what feels right to that particular person.

I was planning to buy a VTX1800 this time (had a VTX1300 I loved) but when I went and tried it out I liked the Roadliner so much better.

did you have problems with your Road Star? I have the impression there are no design issues with them.

Planning on getting a bike bigger than my 650 for road trips, have not decided what to get yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I have been having a Roadstar worked on for a friend. Had been sitting up for several years and need a fuel regulator and fuel pump. In talking with the shop manager he said that it should be good for years and that he rarely ever has to work on the Roadstar. I was going to buy the bike but ended up finding a Stratoliner and bought it instead simply because I have always liked them and wanted one and stumbled across one that was about the same price.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Good info on the Road Stars - thanks

There is one in the local craiglist: 1999 with 30k miles, for $2200. Not a bad price for the mileage, but it has aftermarket exhaust, running lights, crash bar, windshield, saddle bags, an aftermarket seat, and who knows what else has been 'done' to it.

I would rather have a stock bike and set it up the way I want, than to have to undo all the things the previous owner did, and then put on what I want.

I would be happy with just a properly sized windshield and a trunk, like my 650 garage photo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts