Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just picked up an 08 1300 V Star last month and have been riding it every chance I get since it's a blast to ride! I previously rode a Nighthawk 650, pretty big difference in performance...I really like the feel of the V Star. The previous owner had a low speed slide out, so there's some cosmetic damage (saddle bag, tank, windshield frame), but nothing structurally wrong with the bike. However, I just did an all day 400 mile ride last Sunday, the ride was great but my throttle hand was getting numb after awhile. I'm 6'1", so I don't lean forward too much, but I'm thinking an upgrade to RSTD's might be the answer? I also get a lot of head buffeting at 60+ mph, so lowers and maybe tilting the windshield back a little might be the answer to that issue as well? Anyway, with the riding season coming to a close fairly soon (I'm in MN), I'm looking forward to a few more long weekend rides while I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your throttle hand is getting sore try the Kuryakyn ISO grips with a throttle boss. Allows you to just rest your hand on the throttle while maintaining speed. You could also try one of the cruise controls that are available. I prefer the ISO over any cruise control but that's just my personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Definitely try the kuryakyn grips as BK recommended. Lowers and a little taller windshield may help. At 6' 1" in height, it would seem the wind would be hitting you in the chest with the short windshield from your pics. Just a suggestion though. Keep us updated and ride safely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome I ride an 08 1300 touring also. I installed lowers-helps a little on the wind issue. The bike is a solid cruiser.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I thank you all for your help, I've ordered the Kuryakyn grips via Amazon, so they should be here in time for me to install them and be ready for the weekend. I'm going to wait on the throttle boss for the moment, want to see how well the grips do before making more changes. My windshield is 17" (Cee Baily), and I do like looking over the shield rather than through, so maybe going to 21" might be the trick. The windshield frame on the right side however is slightly bent towards the fork, leaving only a two finger gap between the brake line and the shield (as opposed to a four finger gap like it should be) (see pics below). If I wanted to apply pressure and force the frame back into position (via cloth covered large screwdriver), is the frames metal strong enough to take it? Wouldn't want to crack it if it isn't strong enough, make sense? Again, I appreciate all the input!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome from southweastern PA. Congrats on yer new ride. The boo boo's don't make them ride any better or worse so just enjoy the ride till you feel the need to upgrade. And like Keith said, if you take your time and go easy, you should be able to bend that back into shape. Try putting it into a vise if you have access to one. Use some pieces of wood to protect the finish and soft faced hammer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again to everyone for the advise, the Kuryakyn's feel great! I only installed the throttle side for now since I'm still on the fence about changing out the handlebars. I did raise the bars about an inch and there is a noticeable difference; the feel/comfort is better, and the bike seems to handle better too. I have an "Ed" seat on the way, once it's installed I'll have a better idea about the handle bar situation. I was also able to "gently" get the windshield frame back in place via a cloth covered wrench, looks much better and made raising the bars easier too ;-).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts