Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All; I just purchased and awaiting delivery of a 2009 V-Star Tourer with 1756 Miles on it. Sounds great. Horn is bad and the saddlebags have seen better days. Dealer is fixing the horn issue. Everything else is working. Looking forward after a number of years getting back on a bike. Went thru the Motorcycle Safety Course and have my GA Endorsements. Will be looking to try and find a set of saddlebags that will fit as soon as I can afford them. That a few other items. :smile: Like a rear brake modulator for better safety. Looking forward to reading and learning and taking any advice on maintaining and improving things. Thanks!
Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome Bill, sounds like you are off to a great start. Be sure to shop around for prices on your bags, lots of different brands and styles out there. Be sure to send us some pics after your ride arrives. What part of the peach state do you hail from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Live down in Saint Marys GA. Literally a stones throw from FL. And Thanks Much for the welcome!

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
You're very welcome, enjoy the forum,and ask all the questions you'd like. Very knowledgeable and helpful members here.

·
Administrator
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here Is Some Pictures Of My 2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer

Finally had a chance to go out to ride today to start relearning after a number of years and just after my Motorcycle Safety School. Got about an .8 miles from home and it died. Bike was bought used and as is. Well, by the speedo picture you can see it has not been ridden much and the gas probably original. Dealer did change the fluids but little else. Air Filter is nasty so have an OEM filter on order. During troubleshooting with a lot of help from neighbors, put some marine gas in which minus the ethanol and while trying to get that to dilute the bad gas with good the battery died. Finally got it home and went and bought a new battery, some Lucas Fuel Additive for the ejectors, and 4 gal of gas. Filled the tank up after installing the new battery. After a couple of hours of running it constantly in the driveway, turning it off now and then. It seems to be running a lot smoother. Will give it a short run tomorrow and hope it runs better but for a while I will stay close to home and practice basic stuff for a while. I am in no hurry and feel the need to let both of us get to know each other. Here are some pics as promised. Always looking for advice. And hope to contribute myself sometime. Enjoy Your Weekend!! :wink:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Glad you got it home Bill, were you offered any warranty on your purchase? Seems to me the dealer would have checked everything especially with such low mileage. Worth asking about anyway. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No warranty. One of those used items where you take it as is. Dealer said they changed all the fluids, oil and such but obviously did not look at gas. Have asked the dealer to advise me of if anything was done to bike. But bike is running smooth after running it all day on and off in the driveway. Will be taking it up and down some short distances until I know more. I know there is no dipstick. Is there an easy way to stick anything in the oil filler to pull out to see what the condition of the oil is? Thanks!

Bill

·
Banned
137 Posts
I had other bikes, 66 Yam 250, Honda 550, Honda 900 and now our Yam 1300. It was 27yrs between the 550 and 900 but it came right back. Then we decided to get the 1300 for more longer riding with luggage. The biggest change was no tach and less rpm's. It took me awhile to get used to the shifting and not following the book. Jim MN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts