Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I bought a 2010 1300 Tourer. The last bike I owned and rode was a 1979 Yamaha 750XS back in the late 90s. Prior to that it was a Kawasaki 400 in the late 70s. (I did take a safety course a couple weeks ago,)

The bike came with some extras - spotlamps, engine guard, saddlebag guards, luggage rack, brake/clutch lever leather wraps, Arlen Ness Big Sucker II air cleaner, Powercommander V fuel controller.

I plan to add brake light blinker (probably the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy) and maybe a headlight modulator. I am also thinking to remove the passenger seat and backrest because the wife won't ride.

I hope to learn a lot here.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,229 Posts
Welcome from Maritime Canada (east coast). Beautiful ride you got yerself there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Love my 1300 .. welcome to the forums :) Lots to learn but lots of fun times to be had on a 1300.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,609 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Ride often and safe.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! Great looking bike and nice list of mods. Glad you joined us and ride safely!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,436 Posts
welcome back - I did not see a post on your accident if you made one.

If I had to guess, locked up the front brake trying to stop? The guy at the MC shop that I bought all my riding gear from hit a deer at 55mph and dropped his bike. He has his jacket and helmet and gloves and boots that he was wearing on display in the shop. He was able to ride it out on his face, get up and walk away.

Something I noticed on your first post. I recommend you not use a headlight modulator.

Blinking your headlights at on coming traffic can mean many things, one of which is "blinking someone through". If a car is waiting to turn across your path, or pull out in front of you from a side street, its common (at least where I live) if you are not approaching that fast, to blink your head lights - which means Go Ahead, I see you and Im letting you through, in, out....

My experience is about 90% of drivers understand it and go. The other 10% just sit there, or turn their headlights on, or think there is a cop somewhere....

If one driver mistakes your headlight modulator for you blinking them through, that is the worst possible accident to have on a MC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was in a lean going through a left curve on a narrow country road when several deer appeared crossing the road from left to right. I brought the bike upright and braked but because I was already on the outside edge of the road, I was off the road immediately. Luckily no trees due to a powerline right-of-way but the first ditch sent me over the bike. Got up, felt like I either broke my collarbone or dislocated my shoulder so I called my wife to take me to the hospital (an hour drive) and called my neighbor to haul my bike home. The first hospital found a broken scapula, 5 broken ribs and a pneumothorax and transferred me to a regional trauma center.

Thank for the tip about the headlight modulator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,436 Posts
oh man that is rough!

you took the riding course but you only had the bike for a week. That is not enough practice time to be tested like that on a curve.

Ive had a few close calls myself on curves but always managed to say on the pavement.

You will have to tell me about your 1979 Yamaha 750XS. I almost bought one, a special, a few months back with 15,000 miles for $1200. The guy I was going to see was washing it in his driveway.... sold it to his neighbor. Except for the bolt that comes loose and screws up 2nd gear they are suppose to be great bikes, with a very unique exhaust tone. I read several reviews that said "great bike, wish I still had it!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 750 was a Special and I enjoyed riding it. The biggest maintenance problem I had were leaky fuel petcocks. When I decided to sell I posted in a local sale paper and the day the paper came out I checked my ad and right next to it was an ad for the same bike with a blown engine good for parts. I went and bought the parts bike,removed my ad and kept it for another year.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top