Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm Dave (all in unison....Hello Dave) and I have recently acquired a 2008 V Star 1100.

Kind of a story behind the bike, but:
Been riding a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 since 1986. In 2010 I bought a new Triumph America and sold the Honda to my Dad who still has it. I sold the Triumph to buy my wife a new Mustang Convertible and was done with bikes.
I bought a used pickup truck to replace my old S10 and set the S10 in the front yard for sale. A guy came along and offered to trade a Vstar for it so here I am.
It's a 2008 V Star 1100 Silverado with 7500 miles. I have only ridden it about 2 miles since I have had it because the rear tire is completely shot. It needs a couple of things like tires and front brake pads and a tuneup and probably a battery. I think the battery is the original. Oh and it has Cobra speedster shorts on it so it need some baffles to tone it down some.

Glad to be here!

Dave

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Do you talk to a computer called HAL? :D

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people on here and some even have blue bikes ;).

Since you have a few bugs to iron out on the bike, you may want to add these, change all fluids including brake fluid. Post pics of the bike. And tell us about yourself a bit more.

Ride saf, post often and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/IMG]

I've got a couple more pics but right now my phone is being a PITA so the others will have to wait.
Oil and other fluids I would include in the "tune up" category:) so yes its on the list. The bike seems to be ok just needs some TLC. Tires, brake pads, filters, etc are all on they way. Its in the 20's at the house so I think I have a few months to get it straightened out.

What else would you like to know about me? I drive an 18 wheeler Over The Road and spend about 275 days a year gone from home.

I do like your Avatar and your choice in aircraft.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome aboard :) . . . and you made a great trade :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome.

I think it was a reasonable trade. I can't help but feel I got the better end of the trade. But we all know you never get something for nothing;)
This is also my first touring style bike. Never had a bike with a full windshield,footboards,heel-toe shifter etc.
It all may take some getting used to.
And its the first bike I've ever seen that I have to remove the exhaust to change the oil.

Thanks again,

Dave

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
There is an ORK, Oil filter Relocation Kit, they make for your bike that will solve the PITA of removing the exhaust :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That ORK looks like a worthwhile mod. Tires will be at the house when I get back on the 21st along with brake pads, rotors, air filter and oil change stuff. Went with Shinko 230's. I plan to install the tires myself. I've had Dunlops before I will definitely not put them back on. I don't want to start a "which tire is best" war here.

Corsair,
Collection? Vintage aircraft? Very very cool! I've taken a ride in and flown a Stearman and a Pitts Special. But most of my time has been in Pipers and Cessnas. Got to ride right seat in a Lear 55 once and went along with a buddy in a Commander. PPL ASEL IRC.
Don't get up your way too often. I've been into Quebec City a couple of times and somewhere in BC once...Nova Scotia once..but in 10 years of trucking that is the extent of my out of country travel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome to the forum..Good reason not to ride that tire has seen some road!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I don't see how anybody could ride a tire down that far without replacing it. I would never let one get like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, what part of TN are you in? I'm in Bristol.
Also you list Bikes and Bugs as hobbies? Would that be VW's? I sold my last one that I restored a couple of years ago. A 72 Standard that I completely restored. I love me some Bugs!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks, what part of TN are you in? I'm in Bristol.
Also you list Bikes and Bugs as hobbies? Would that be VW's? I sold my last one that I restored a couple of years ago. A 72 Standard that I completely restored. I love me some Bugs!!
Hey,Im in Adamsville,Tn. the home of Buford Pusser(Walkin Tall)Yah i love the Vdubs i have a 64 baja 1835 i use as my daily driver,it gets better MPG than my Roadliner lol. A-ville is about an hr or so east of Memphis

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice. I was fairly close to you a few days ago. I drive a big truck and delivered into Somerville TN. I also get regular runs to Brownsville. Got a good friend who lives in Jackson too.
Always nice to meet a VW fan. I've had a couple of rails, and a Meyers Manx but never a Baja. I've had a couple of Karmann Ghias, buses and plenty of Bugs. My fav was a 67. Wish I'd kept that one. I rebuilt the engine on the kitchen table before I had a shop...good times! I had one Thing too.
Be safe!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts