Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Recently passed my MSF course and got my M license. I have only 2 days worth of riding during the course. On OfferUp I found a 2000 V-Star 650 for $300 and with the help of youtube and ebay, I've been learning how to fix it up. Everything was a mess on this bike. But I'm trying to bring it back into production. Let's see what happens. to be continued....

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
check your airfilter

sometimes when a bike has sat a long time, it becomes a bees-nest

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,039 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. A good resource for 650 if you haven't found it:

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi All, Recently passed my MSF course and got my M license. I have only 2 days worth of riding during the course. View attachment 91036
welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here, many 650 owners and helpful members. Congrats on the MSF course.... its a great place to start for newbies and even seasoned riders can learn a thing or two. Service and owners manuals can be found on line for free download. Good luck getting your ride road-worthy. Lets us know where you're from sometime. Happy trails..... ride safe.

·
2,357 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. You picked up one of the best bikes on the market and you found the best place to learn all about it and get some help putting her back together. Welcome to the wonderful world of riding!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! The 650 is a very popular bike on this forum. There are many who have joined with what they considered basket cases and they get them resurrected and back on the road safely and quickly. Good luck with your project! If you have not done this already please check the date and condition of the tires before going on any test rides. Nothing like a blow out or a flat far from home to give you the wrong impression about motorcycle riding.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome, I have the same year and model! Question, did the previous owner remove your front brakes and master cylinder?

View attachment 91039 ?
Not to hijack the thread but man I really like the look of the saddlebag lights! Where did you get them?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
... did the previous owner remove your front brakes and master cylinder?...
good catch on the photo

the master cylinder and front brake lever is missing on the right grip
and the brake hose

but the caliper is still on the wheel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Everyone, The picture I posted originally is after i was messing with it and was taking it apart. I've attached the original pics of how I got the bike. It included everything. It did have the master cylinder and brake line, but It had lots of gunk in it, i was cleaning it out that's why it's off the bike in the original picture

So far I've completed:
  • Cleaned Carb and rebuilt Carb with rebuild kit $9.45
  • Cleaned & Rebuilt Master Cylinder $18.00
  • Cleaned & Rebuilt Brake Caliper $31.00
  • Replaced Fuel Filter $ $10.00
  • Acid wash Tank and lined it with POR 15 Tank Sealer $ 45.00
  • Washed entire bike
  • Replaced Air Filter, Changed Oil, Changed Spark Plug - $34.00
  • Installed new petcock $8.00
To Do:
  • I'm waiting for a starter relay because the engine only turns over when i use a screw driver to start $7.00
  • Carb Intake Manifold Holder Boot is in bad shape, the rubber is cracked on both intakes $16.00
  • Back Tire is cracked
  • have to dig into the rear drum brakes16
  • have to look at the rear differential , oil etc $16.00
I've spent about $200 on the bike so far and I'm pretty close.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts