Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

New to Riding and 2000 V-Star 650

3K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  cheetat1 
#1 ·
Hi All, Recently passed my MSF course and got my M license. I have only 2 days worth of riding during the course. On OfferUp I found a 2000 V-Star 650 for $300 and with the help of youtube and ebay, I've been learning how to fix it up. Everything was a mess on this bike. But I'm trying to bring it back into production. Let's see what happens. to be continued....

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. A good resource for 650 if you haven't found it:

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

#4 ·
Hi All, Recently passed my MSF course and got my M license. I have only 2 days worth of riding during the course. View attachment 91036
welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here, many 650 owners and helpful members. Congrats on the MSF course.... its a great place to start for newbies and even seasoned riders can learn a thing or two. Service and owners manuals can be found on line for free download. Good luck getting your ride road-worthy. Lets us know where you're from sometime. Happy trails..... ride safe.

#7 ·
Welcome from Columbus, OH! The 650 is a very popular bike on this forum. There are many who have joined with what they considered basket cases and they get them resurrected and back on the road safely and quickly. Good luck with your project! If you have not done this already please check the date and condition of the tires before going on any test rides. Nothing like a blow out or a flat far from home to give you the wrong impression about motorcycle riding.

#15 ·
... did the previous owner remove your front brakes and master cylinder?...
good catch on the photo

the master cylinder and front brake lever is missing on the right grip
and the brake hose

but the caliper is still on the wheel

#18 ·
Thanks Everyone, The picture I posted originally is after i was messing with it and was taking it apart. I've attached the original pics of how I got the bike. It included everything. It did have the master cylinder and brake line, but It had lots of gunk in it, i was cleaning it out that's why it's off the bike in the original picture

So far I've completed:
  • Cleaned Carb and rebuilt Carb with rebuild kit $9.45
  • Cleaned & Rebuilt Master Cylinder $18.00
  • Cleaned & Rebuilt Brake Caliper $31.00
  • Replaced Fuel Filter $ $10.00
  • Acid wash Tank and lined it with POR 15 Tank Sealer $ 45.00
  • Washed entire bike
  • Replaced Air Filter, Changed Oil, Changed Spark Plug - $34.00
  • Installed new petcock $8.00

To Do:
  • I'm waiting for a starter relay because the engine only turns over when i use a screw driver to start $7.00
  • Carb Intake Manifold Holder Boot is in bad shape, the rubber is cracked on both intakes $16.00
  • Back Tire is cracked
  • have to dig into the rear drum brakes16
  • have to look at the rear differential , oil etc $16.00

I've spent about $200 on the bike so far and I'm pretty close.

#23 ·
simplicity for one - there is nothing to bleed or leak or fail - when you step on the pedal the brake is always there

and on a bike like a 650 its still easy to lock up the rear brake with a drum - so they are good enough

to put a disk on the rear it would have to be a very small pad, or it would be super-touchy on the pedal
so they could not just use the same caliper and rotor as the front wheel, it would be a new unique part assembly

#21 ·
the carb boots are made with 2 layers of plastic with alum tubes in part of it

its typical for the outer layer to crack and looks terrible, but that does not necessarily mean they are leaking air

but if you have the carbs off you might as well put the new boots on

this is also the best time to check and adjust the valve clearances and adjust them if needed. With the bike being 20 years old replace the 4 o rings on the tappet covers, Sometimes you can re-use the old ones, but if the o rings on the intake tappet covers ooze oil after you start it up, you will have to tear the bike all the way down to taking the carbs out of the way to get those inner tappet covers off again.

while you are doing this consider leaving the fake chromed plastic head covers off - the only function they serve is they keep you from getting to the front tappet cover when the bike is assembled - you can get to the rear exhaust tappet cover with them on. Ive seen a few bikes with them left off, they look more... normal.

#24 ·
Got the new Boots yesterday. Even though it may not be leaking air, it looks bad on the outside. Since the carbs are off, i'll change it, just a few screws. Thanks for the other suggestions. I will see how difficult it is for the valve adjustment and the O rings on the intake tappet. Here's some pictures of the old boot and the new ones I just received

#25 ·
the tappets are easy to check and not that hard to adjust if they are out of spec

at least check them, if they are slightly loose its ok, but if they are tight you risk burning the valve seat, big trouble then

when you do remember the engine on the bike spins in the opposite direction of the front wheel, while you are turning it over to align the timing marks

that is unusual for motorcycle engines, so a lot of people spin it the wrong way with the wrench

#27 ·
if there is a way to check o rings for plyability that is one way to do it

the o rings get stiff after a few years, so depending on how long they have been on the bike, they may reseal, or they may ooze when you put the tappet covers back on

they torque on to something like 7 ft pounds, and the covers hit metal to metal, so more torque wont help if they leak

you can get them for about $4 each online, places like Bikebandit, and dealers are about the same price

you need 4

Dealers usually have them on stock because its a normal maintenance replacement item.

#28 ·
Im biting the bullet, since everything is accessible since the carbs are off. It sounds like this valve check is an important item. I was looking for the tappet seals, is this the model? 93210-62446-00 . I have a 2000 vstar 650. As u mentioned above, I need 4 seals, correct..

#34 ·
ditto Les

when they are new they are circular

when they have been stuffed in that rectangular cover for a few years they take a set, and hold that shape

which is a good indication they are no longer flexible...

#35 ·
I'm getting the O rings this week and will work on the valve adjustments this week. Not sure of the etiquette on the forum. Can i ask another question here? Or do I start a new thread? I have another question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.