Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying my first V twin cruiser and have closed the deal on a 2005 XVS1100 Custom. The bike comes from a dealer in Essex UK, and has very low mileage (just over 8K miles) I've had 'bikes all my life but this is the first cruiser type, and I'm part exing my current bike of 3 years a Honda CBF1000A7 which is a tourer.

My principle reason for the purchase is that I have an injury on my left knee that now aches after only an hour or so riding the Honda.

If anyone has any advice to give on ownership of one of these bikes I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Inky

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,000 Posts
Hello @Inkywidowsson and welcome from Virginia. One thing to remember on the 1100 is to never add throttle when starting. Also, check the oil filter. If it has not got the relocation kit already, you'll want to get one. The OEM placement makes you remove the header to change it.

Make sure the tires are not over five years old too.

Other than that, ride on brother.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Good looking bike, I have one that is a 2004. I'm not sure it applies because I think they fixed the problem in '04 but don't use the throttle at all when starting, it can damage the starter motor. There are a few posts on here about that, basically using the throttle advances the timing and a minor backfire can ruin the starter motor. Other than that, regular maintenance will keep it running for ever...

Welcome, and please come back and share some pics of your rides. There are a good group of very helpful people here with lots of good conversations and more knowledge that love to share, just feed them motorcycle pictures once in a while. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello @Inkywidowsson and welcome from Virginia. One thing to remember on the 1100 is to never add throttle when starting. Also, check the oil filter. If it has not got the relocation kit already, you'll want to get one. The OEM placement makes you remove the header to change it.

Make sure the tires are not over five years old too.

Other than that, ride on brother.
Thanks for the welcome Boog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking bike, I have one that is a 2004. I'm not sure it applies because I think they fixed the problem in '04 but don't use the throttle at all when starting, it can damage the starter motor. There are a few posts on here about that, basically using the throttle advances the timing and a minor backfire can ruin the starter motor. Other than that, regular maintenance will keep it running for ever...

Welcome, and please come back and share some pics of your rides. There are a good group of very helpful people here with lots of good conversations and more knowledge that love to share, just feed them motorcycle pictures once in a while. ;)
Thanks for the welcome Jeff

·
Super Moderator
3,550 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

Reactions: somnathnag

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! You will be very happy with the 1100. Seems to be a very dependable bike especially if you stay away from the throttle when starting! Good Luck!

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
180 Posts
Welcome from me in Sweden. Great bike, nice colour too! (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome from Plainsboro, NJ, USA . Its a nice looking motorcycle. Has the windshield, saddlebag support brackets, passenger back support, back luggage rack, low miles - nice. Enjoy and be safe.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,891 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Nice looking bike. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt.

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hello and welcome from Rochester NY. Visit often and enjoy snooping around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts