Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to jump into this forum for a while and wut better time then now Lol. I was wiring a new tail light and turn signals and accidentally shorted out the brake and turn together I think. thought I heard a faint noise near the relay so checked the fuses and the 50A and two 15A fuses are fine. nothing seemed to melt or smell burnt either. everything is working except taillight, brake and turn signals don't. I noticed the blinker switch is silent now. checked the filaments are okay. Are there any other fuses besides the ones around the relay? or any other idea what else might-a happened. bike is a stock '08. thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Hi Bob!
Welcome to the forum. Can you give us a bit more information on your bike? Be sure to ask all your questions in the Vstar section. Also pics are big here and we’re glad you decided to join us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Since you were putting on new lights try to get this down to a single point failure.

disconnect the lights you added at a connector, then use a volt meter to see if the control unit is sending 12VDC to the brake light connector and turn signal connector when you step on the brake or engage the turn signals. Then you will know if its the control unit, a burnt wire before that point, or something not right with your new lights (missing ground connection for example).

I have never seen a schematic for the light drivers in the control unit for the bike, so I dont know what would happen if you wired the power from one light circuit (the brake light for example) back fed into the output of another (the turn signal driver). Its possible that would blow out the driver circuits.... maybe... depending on how its designed (transistors, JFETS... protection diodes or not...).

At least the volt meter test will narrow it down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks KCW, could you explain where the light driver is and what it does. haven't heard of that one. anxious to do as you said and start checking things with the meter.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I dont have the service manual for the Road Star here on this computer, but looking at the wiring diagram for a similar bike, it looks like the turn signals and brake light are wired directly into the turn signal switch and the brake light switches. I thought they might all be wired to the ECU, but that does not appear to be the case.

But thats good, because back feeding the brake lights with the turn signals wired together should not hurt anything. I think I was going down the wrong path.

You should be able to find the Road Star Service manual online in a free PDF file, maybe even from the Yamaha motorcycle support webpage itself. The wiring diagrams are on the last pages of the service manuals, it would help you trace thru the wires and connectors (it shows the wire colors) and you can see where you are losing the 12V between the fuse and the tail lights.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i believe you are correct about these going through the signal switch because i got no signal blinker clicking with the power on and signal switch on. so maybe the signal switch acted like a fuse in this instance?...if so that's sure interesting and definitely more affordable than an ecu! thank you KCW. I'll report back some findings in a day or so.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,067 Posts

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The other thing I was getting at is still valid - its easier to debug a single point failure.

Since you were re-wiring the tail lights and made a mistake and shorted some wires together, you dont know if the tail lights are wired correctly now until you see them go on one by one.

If you can unplug all of them, there is normally a fender removal connector for all the tail lights, and then test each one with a jumper wire to the battery, you can wring out the tail light wires first. Once you have that working, then if they still dont work when you plug the connector back together, figure out why there is no power to the connector...

Take one thing at a time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yepper that's the plan KCW. each tail light wire on male side of the fender removal connector -continuity check, then troubleshoot the female side by what should have power @when. . and with that turn signal dead in the water, well, I should probably just get one of those puppies, right now.

key on,

tail light - closed showing voltage
brake light - on activation
turn signals - on activation
license light - closed showing voltage

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Are you saying the engine quits when you kick it down into 1st gear? It will do that if you have the kick stand down, or if the kick stand switch is broken.

If you mean the bike wont pull when you let out the clutch, you have a broken clutch (broken stuck cable, worn out clutch, or some other clutch problem).

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Still dont understand what is happening.

You start the bike

you pull in the clutch

you shift into 1st gear

you let out the clutch: what happens?

1. the engine quits?
2. the bike does not pull or move?
3. the bike lurches then quits?
4. is the drive shaft between the engine and the back wheel spinning, but the bike is not moving?

the switches on the right grip are the starter and the kill switch

the switches on the left grip are the high beam/low beam, horn button, and turn signals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts