Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new 07 Strat and I'd like to upgrade to a little more noticable exhaust. I talked to my local dealer about doing a dino, remap and exhaust for around 1200.00. I want more sound when rolling on the power but not ear piercing when cruising. Has anyone had any experience with Cobra or Speedstar long drag exhaust? Any advice would be appreciated. Jonny

·
Registered
422 Posts
My buddy uses the cobras on his raider and they sound and look nice. They are loud as [email protected]#t when your in the throttle, but aren't much louder than stock when you just cruzin. My personal favorite is the roadhouse classic 2 into 1 which I have on my bike . It has a much deeper note than the cobras and when your in the throttle it just sounds angry. I run a stock air filter and map and it runs perfect. I wanted looks and sound because for me the liners have enough grunt and I see too many people that just throw some drags on to make it loud and I wanted a pipe you dont see every day. Everywhere I go I get compliments on the look and sound of my pipe.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Remap

Jonny,

Congrats on the new bike, guess ther are still 07 bikes around with no miles. Great bike, you will love it. I have an 06 Statoliner I bought new in 06. Now have 42,000 miles. I have been slacking it this year. Your choice sounds good on the pipes. I don't know what an average cost is but $1,200 seems a little high for just pipes and remapping. I had the impression that if you reset power to the fuel regulator it would relearn the map on its own. There is a procedure, you give it 10% throttle let the engine run until it stops increasing speed. Then go to 20% do the same and work up to 90%. To speed things up. Never did this but you might try if it will save you a bunch of money.

Your stock exhaust wil get louder with time and miles but never as loud as an aftermarket. You have a couple of choices 2 into 1 as the bike comes or 2 into 2 like the long drag pipes or the cobras you talked about. Some might dissagree but if you give up the Exaust ultimate performance valve (Ex Up valve.) for the 2 into 2. You will loose a little low end torque, gaining it back on the top end. so depends what you want.

If performance is what you are after then you might also think about an air box mod as well. In order to get a noticeable increase you need to change air in and out fo the engine. There are "Big air kits" "Max air kits" Or you can leave the top off the air box and install a K&N filter. An interesting air box mod posted here is to place a 1/4" of foam betwen the top and bottom of the air box. All allow more air into the engine. Some of the air box mods add a lot of intake noise.

Next thought would be an after market fuel regulator. To rich the fuel mixture back up. Dynojet is one of the most popular. Cobra also makes one. I have read though that the stock fuel controler will be able to keep up. Most do all three if looking for performance.

Not sure about all that then maybe you should ride for a while and think about it. Or, you can start with the exhaust and add as you go along. I do like to ride the bike for a while and then make up my mind.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im buying a 09 strat with a few dealer mods. the big ones are cobra speedster ex long "thay are loud but sound real good" an fi 2000 efi mod and a baron big air stealth kit. Parts and labor will run me just a little over 1300.00 what you are haveing done sounds way high to me. do some looking and see if u can find a better deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.