Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Roadies. I just purchased a new to me 2008 Yamaha Road Star 1700. Had 300 miles on it which alarmed me, but the bike has just been serviced and I got it for a steal, I think. Paid $3500 and the bike is stock with windshield.
Here is the best part to me. According to our local dealer, if I can put 700 to a 1k miles on it and not have to bring it back, he said I probably won't have to be back. The Service Tech said they rarely work on a Road Star.
That's good news to me!! I just rolled 1,200 miles and no issues. Glad to be back in the saddle!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome from the frozen North !!!

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee Lawdog. Any pics you’d like to share with us? We love pics here. Based upon your screen name, are you a sheepdog as well? Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I'll give you $3400 for it, since you put 900 miles on the odo!

Im not sure if you mean the mechanic said you can put 1000 miles on it, then bring it back for another oil change?

The break in oil change and valve adjustment check is usually around 400 miles on the odo on these bikes, to get anything out of the engine that might have been in there from production, and then after that oil changes and valve adjustment are every 4000 miles, with the filter changed every other time at 8000 mile intervals.

If he did the oil and valves at 300 miles, you are good till the next regular scheduled service, 4000 miles on the odo. If you dont have the owners manual you can find it on-line - the service schedule is near the back.

Or maybe he was telling you a road star is good for 70,000 to 100,000 miles before it needs any real work done - which is correct.

Nice deal, $3500 for a stock road star like yours is excellent. Getting a stock bike that no one has every messed with is my idea of a perfect find.

There are a lot of people that put loud exhaust, intakes and a bunch of other stuff on a new bike, and screw it all up.... Then they sell it because it runs like crap!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Im not sure if you mean the mechanic said you can put 1000 miles on it, then bring it back for another oil change?
What he said was ... "Here is the best part to me. According to our local dealer, if I can put 700 to a 1k miles on it and not have to bring it back, he said I probably won't have to be back. "

Which I interpret as ... If there are not any issues within a 1,000 miles. There will not be any. (Minus regular oil changes, etc.)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
oh, that make sense

I had trouble parsing the IF AND NOT THEN NOT statement :^)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a shepherd to the sheep if that is what you mean? I am full time behind the badge and part time behind the pulpit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give you $3400 for it, since you put 900 miles on the odo!

The break in oil change and valve adjustment check is usually around 400 miles on the odo on these bikes, to get anything out of the engine that might have been in there from production, and then after that oil changes and valve adjustment are every 4000 miles, with the filter changed every other time at 8000 mile intervals.

If he did the oil and valves at 300 miles, you are good till the next regular scheduled service, 4000 miles on the odo. If you dont have the owners manual you can find it on-line - the service schedule is near the back.

Or maybe he was telling you a road star is good for 70,000 to 100,000 miles before it needs any real work done - which is correct.

Nice deal, $3500 for a stock road star like yours is excellent. Getting a stock bike that no one has every messed with is my idea of a perfect find.

There are a lot of people that put loud exhaust, intakes and a bunch of other stuff on a new bike, and screw it all up.... Then they sell it because it runs like crap!
Appreciate the info. They did the valves and oil at 300. I am going to change it again this weekend. Putting in Yamalube with OEM filter. Going with the fellas for our first ride in 2 weeks. Be gone for 3 glorious days of saddletime in the mountains of North Alabama.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome from Houston, Texas. As Keith said, we like pictures. When you get a chance check out the Bike of the Month thread.

StarBikeForums Bike of the Month - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

A few more interesting threads :

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5655-yammy-ya-got.html?highlight=Yammy

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/110258-where-you.html

Ride often and safe.
Getting pictures on our first ride. We are going where there are a lot of covered bridges and waterfalls. Hopefully get a good pic. My "Yammy" is the 1700FI. It has a Silverado windshield but nothing else. I am assuming its a plain jane Road star I reckon.
Riding out of Central Alabama.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Be careful parking your bike on the side of the road by historic bridges, and pretty much anywhere else on the side of the road.

I parked my Vstar 650 next to a bridge on the original Watkins Glen Grand Prix road course, and walked about 100 feet away - got a great photo with the lens zoomed in. While I was walking back I realized my bike was about half a degree off vertical, just barely leaning on the kickstand. What a sick feeling - if a truck had driven by it would have blown my bike over.

Ended ok, but I think about that everytime now when I park my bike on anything other than level pavement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in west central Alabama, lawdog. Marion county. We may be riding some of the same roads! We might just have to meet up sometime.
Im in Lowndes. We ride a lot, for us. We average around 6k+ miles a year. We might hit around 8k this year. I will keep you posted. Of coarse, we are leaving next Friday if you got time off. Coming back on Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Found the photo I was talking about on this computer

I could not get back to my bike fast enough when I realized what I had done:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts