Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. Im new to Yamahas but i havent heard anything bad about them. I picked up this beauty 2 weeks ago for 2 grand. 2013 v star 650 with only 4400 miles.
I cant wait to see what is in store for me and I look forward to learning all kinds of things from you guys:grin:

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Have you registered that bike yet because DANG! unless the other side of the bike is completely missing $2k is a steal

and someone has put some money into it, the mirrors, crashbar, foot boards, little rack on the back, thats almost $800 in aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you registered that bike yet because DANG! unless the other side of the bike is completely missing $2k is a steal

and someone has put some money into it, the mirrors, crashbar, foot boards, little rack on the back, thats almost $800 in aftermarket parts.
It is actually not registered yet, Waiting for my day off to do that. the PO was trying to pay off a debt and let it go for the cost of his loan.

Downside... It was laid down but was taken to a very good shop down here and insurance replaced everything. i am removing the foot boards because they just aren't me...
Only thing it needs are mufflers. PO took of the mufflers and its just the 1 3/4? pipes left, It is insanely loud for a small bike.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Welcome from Maritime Canada. I agree with KCW - you stole that thing! And yeah, without the mufflers you're basically running straight pipes so it's gotta be loud. I know with full aftermarket exhausts you need to rejet the carbs so if you plan on running it like that you might want to look into doing it, if it hasn't already been done.

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Hi Taylor, welcome to the forum. I gotta agree with my fellow members, you got a steal of a deal! The 650s are great bikes. You'll enjoy being a yammy owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad you've joined and yes you will find lots of information from experienced bikers. Pictures are great and yes it is looking great! Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
funny, if you search the recent posts another guy just got a 650 custom and he does not like the stock foot pegs and was looking around to buy a set of those foot boards you got (they are stock on the 650 "classic").

ditto on the pipes and the jets on the carbs. The stock mufflers contain baffles and a catalytic converter, so that bike is going to be running lean and hot unless the jets have been adjusted. If you put something more like the stock mufflers back on, you will have to put the original jets in the carbs. If you havent asked the previous owner and you still have the chance, find out for sure what he did. Its not a bad thing either way, you just want to (need to) know whats in the carbs now.

some people get confused on this. With fuel injection and an O2 sensor you can modify the exhaust and intake, and the bike injection will adjust itself to run the right mixture. But with carbs you have to match the jets to the airflow on the intake and exhaust.

it looks great with all the chrome on the engine and transmission blacked out. If you are not familiar google photos of the Custom and you can see what it looked like originally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the compliments. I have only riden it a few times since getting it but so far it is an amazing machine

I know all the previous owner did was remove the mufflers, no rejetting or anything. I am looking to put some stock or close to stock pipes back on it for now but I cant find any for the v star or even a boulevard that dont cost $300+. right now i just need to quiet it own with some slip ons until i can get a set i want

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You might find some on eBay from someone who replaced their stock pipes. Worth a look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts