Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Guys n Gals. I'm new to this forum, but I've been riding for several years. I'm a retired military mechanic.

First bike was an XVS650 Custom. I've had Harleys, several Yamahas, a Kawasaki and a Honda since then. I fix them up, ride them for a bit then sell them. Rinse and repeat. I just picked up a 99 XVS650 Classic in really bad shape from having sat outside for years. I have her torn down and I'm going to do a full resto mod, fully personalized to me. I'm keeping this one. She's going to be Army green with large ammo cans for saddle bags. I'm going to do the details like the ground support equipment I used to work on. I'm not doing a WW2 Harley replica or anything like that. Pictures to come later.

So, the main reason I joined the forum is my speedometer was severely sun damaged - the plastic inside was peeling up really bad and blocking view of the Odometer, so I opened it up to get all the loose plastic out of there and the speedo needle just dissolved. So... I either need a new needle or a whole new speedo, and I'm hoping someone here has one sitting around, cause I'm not finding one on ebay.

I have Paypal and I'm ready to purchase now if anyone has one available. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I don't need a speedo. I shaved the plastic remains of the needle off the mount and glued a second hand from a clock in its place. Looks decent and should work just fine.

·
2,479 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Sounds like a cool project. Nice fix on the speedo. Love to see some pics when you get it done, or even during the build (we're kinda big on pics here).

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
the best way to ruin your speedo is to put a windshield on the bike, and then park the bike so the front is pointing away from the sun.

the windshield acts like a parabolic reflector and focuses all the light from the sun right on your speedometer.

Not so great to have all that heat on your gas tank either.

With a windshield always point your bike south when you park it for a full day, unless you live below the equator.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,388 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the best way to ruin your speedo is to put a windshield on the bike, and then park the bike so the front is pointing away from the sun.

the windshield acts like a parabolic reflector and focuses all the light from the sun right on your speedometer.
I think that's exactly what happened. I don't use windshields, even during lovebug season.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First thing I do is remove the air induction system. There's no cat on the 99, so it just makes it pop and backfire - no positive effect on the environment and it looks better without the tubes and filter assembly. BTW, a .45 brass empty shell press fits on to the nipples near the exhaust. I used a dowel and a hammer to put the shells on. Otherwise, cut off the end of the stock tube and weld up the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
funny how you have the Vstar in the shop next to that nice BMW.

When Consumer Reports started rating motorcycles, they found Vstar bikes have the best reliability overall

and BMW has the worse (just below HD).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
funny how you have the Vstar in the shop next to that nice BMW.

When Consumer Reports started rating motorcycles, they found Vstar bikes have the best reliability overall

and BMW has the worse (just below HD).
The BMW was a customer's bike that hadn't ran in 6 years. Had it running in a week and a half (most of that time was waiting on parts). The parts were insanely expensive. Just the starter relay was $160!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands!

And way to go! Please do keep us updated on your progress, I just love it. Your fix for the speedo is pure genius, very clever!

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums from the Netherlands!

And way to go! Please do keep us updated on your progress, I just love it. Your fix for the speedo is pure genius, very clever!

Kind regards, Wim
Thank you. I'll keep posting as I build it. I'm welding all the holes in the rear fender for a nice slick look right now. I'm going to be putting LED lights on the ammo cans for tail lights and throwing away the stock tail light assembly. So, that's what I'm working on now. I'm disabled, so... Slow progress and I'll have to skip a day or two every now and then, but it'll get done soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee Chris.
Great looking project you’ve got going there. Enjoying the updated pics as you continue the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts