Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2009 v star 650 with 75 original miles. This will be a lady friend's first bike. Bike starts and runs but have to keep the choke on, so a carb clean is in order. I'm a old bike resurrection hobbyist, I've brought back many bikes from long term hibernations. Cosmetically this bike just needs some dust and a little mildew cleaned up. I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola
Also check the rubber intake boots , they will dry rot and leak air where connected to the head, all it has is a thin O'Ring as a seal and it is put on dry so it leaks ( I put a very lite RTV to help it)

·
Super Moderator
2,876 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. Wow 75 miles you should start a thread in the V Star thread about the rebuild. That would be fascinating.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbs have been gone through and cleaned in an industrial ultrasonic cleaner. Reinstalled last evening, fired right up on full choke in less than a minute had to drop to half choke then no choke another minute later. Adjusted idle and she purrs like a kitten. Jspree, all the soft parts on this bike look like new, it was stored undercover in a insulated garage. I am truly amazed that I have not found any dryrot or rust on this machine.
CEYI0602[1].JPG

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
946 Posts
Hello Jamie and welcome from Virginia. That is a great find and awesome bike too. Even better with the lady atop it. Is this the friend you mentioned? If so, have her join our happy throng too.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Congrats on a great find. Here's a few intesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt:

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome to the forum from western New York and another 650 owner. What a find! Glad to have you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Melissa the owner of this fine machine, would like the exhaust tone a bit louder. we are considering Vance and Hines short shot system. Any thoughts, concerns, opinions welcomed. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts