Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and to the my Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. I come from riding sport bikes, my last being a Suzuki GSXR 1000. I am getting older, a baby on the way, and tickets are too expensive. I am enjoying the laid back ride but I am experiencing issues with my new bike. I have a 2005 V-Star 1100 Classic that has Vance & Hines aftermarket pipes. I am having issues with back-firing when coming to a stop and utilizing downshifts to assist braking. I also have the issue of it revving up high as I come to a stop, then going back down to a regular idle. I appreciate all the responses in advance and if this is not the place to post let me know and I will get headed in the right direction. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
570 Posts
Welcome to the forum jabdesign. WE have fun here at the forum and there is plenty of good advice to be had. I would check your carb for rejet, If you have not done so. Anytime you make a change to the exhaust system there is going to be a result. You have changed the pressures that are standard with the bike. My bike backfires too because the guy before me took out all the baffles. So to get rid of the extra noise a Power Commander was recomended to me. That is a lot of cash so I jsut live with the noise. Some others on the forum will have some other ideas for you.
Ride safe

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome from where ever i may be. You definitely need to find out what other mods have been installed. Sounding like you might need to bypass/plug the AIS.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome! Congratulations on your new ride. As above, sounds like you should start with checking your jets and the fittings too. Hopefully you can communicate with the PO and find out what if any has been modified and how on your bike. Good luck and let us know what corrections you've had to do eliminate the the "snap-crackle-and-pops."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you all for the information and advice on my issues. I am going to show my ignorance of my new ride and ask, What is the AIS mentioned in SparkyD's post? My brother and I tore into the bike today and found many issues that are contributing to the problems I am experiencing. I will post some pics and explanations of these after we do more digging. Thanks again. Jason

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome aboard jabdesign.Sparkyd had that same issue the other day on a ride do what he advised I think it worked on his.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
As your sitting on your bike: reach your left hand down below the seat...that is your 'left side cover' that contains your tool kit. Use your key and remove this. Make it look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome jab.

I think you'll need to sell your bike and buy a new one.....

....or rejet. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks SparkyD. I will be trying that fix very soon. I have a baby on the way so recreation has taken a back seat to making ready for the little girl. It is also 100+ degrees every day in San Antonio, which is not conducive to riding comfortably. You all have been very helpful and I appreciated the advice...even that from paddy!

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts