Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 V Star 950 Tourer yesterday with 6k miles. I am giving my bike to trusted, long time friend and mechanic this week for what I'll call "newly bought initial maintenance". I'm going to have him do two things; 1.) because it obviously sat for a while (6k miles over ten years) I'm going to have him give it a once over focusing on the brake lines and everything that can wear down over time, and 2.) the following: change oil, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid, spark plugs and adjust the clutch and brake levers. What else should I be thinking about?

Also, I will be changing the battery tonight as IT'S THE ORIGINAL BATTERY!

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,231 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's a good list. Check the tires for cracks also. And look at the front pulley. If there is a red (rust colored) dust on it, look into the front pulley issue that turns up on a few 950s. Otherwise, ride safe and often!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bought a 2012 VStar 950 in 2015 with 1300 miles on it. The tires needed changing by 5000 miles (I suspect got swapped pre sale). The starter went at 7k miles. The starter on this model can fail, but still crank. The case screws go end cap to end cap through the stators. So if the stators break free or crack, the case screws keep them sort of in place enough to crank, but don’t have the oomph to actually start the bike. That took some time to diagnose since I was thinking cranking starter is a good starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid and spark plugs. I don't feel like I need to adjust the levers at this time.

Tires are being looked into now. It looks like I can pay ~$500 for a new set of shoes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts