Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Saddlebags, floorboards and windshield suggest its a Silverado. The front bracket for my windshield is stamped Silverado. I see it has dual calipers up front. Is it an 1100?
Also from your pic, the front cylinder exhaust shows extreme bluing. That might suggest it is running lean and hot. I might suggest pulling your plugs. You can tell a lot from the tip coloring. Welcome to the forum from Rochester NY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saddlebags, floorboards and windshield suggest its a Silverado. The front bracket for my windshield is stamped Silverado. I see it has dual calipers up front. Is it an 1100?
Also from your pic, the front cylinder exhaust shows extreme bluing. That might suggest it is running lean and hot. I might suggest pulling your plugs. You can tell a lot from the tip coloring. Welcome to the forum from Rochester NY.

Yes, 1100. I plan on doing a full service on it and will be replacing the plugs so I'll see what the old ones look like. Appreciate the tip!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Put some seafoam in the tank, about an ounce per gallon. It will probably help the carbs. If the bike set with gas in it , it will love you for the seafoam.
Also if no one has told you never use the throttle when starting the 1100. Only use the choke, they have a tendency to kick back when starting using the throttle. This will break the starter clutch. Now you have a $1,000 fix that needs to be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! love the tips, especially the ones that will save repair costs down the road! So my plan is to fully service this bike. Other than a few tanks of seafoam, new plugs and oil change, what else should I be looking to do. I assume there is a final drive lube? Is there an electronic service manual on this forum or available somewhere? I have always used Yamalube in my Yamaha ATVs/UTVs, is that what the group recommends for the V Star? What fuel is preferred, 87, 89 or 91+? I also have ethanol free gas available in a neighboring town.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Check the DOT date stamp on the tires..replace them if older than 7 yrs
check for grease on the final drive splines.
Make sure to use Jaso rated motorcycle oil in engine
Adjust valve tappets
Sync carburetors
Replace brake fluid
Replace final drive gear oil
Replace fuel filter
Check the V star thread for a link to the shop manual
I use e10 in the summer then switch to e0 in the fall for a few tanks before hibernation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts