Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello From New York,

I am taking delivery of my new 2014 v star 1300 deluxe tomorrow (paid $9900 plus tax and tags). I am coming from an old 82 goldwing gl1100 aspencade. This will be a night and day difference. I have a less then 1000 miles in the seat but I have taken the MSF basic rider course and have obtained my license. I have no urge to ride sports bike and ride at triple digits. I fine myself liking the idea of a cruiser due to the riding position (foot forward) I found the goldwing uncomfortable and sat on a friends katana and thought omg I could never ride a bike like that. Then I sat on the 1300 deluxe. instant comfort. I and 5'10 and hovering around 300lbs so not a slim person at all. I looked at the 950 tourer and even the vulcan 900 custom but the 1300 just seem to "fit" the best. I will be reading up alot on these forums to learn all the good and bad about the bike and will enjoy reading about what other members have done to their v stars also. Well that's about it so... Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All set. I really like that red one. I was going to try to wait for the nice red 2015 but the price certainly would have been a lot different. I don't have a picture yet so maybe I will add mine to next months poll. Census poll also completed. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum from here in Northwest Illinois. Happy to have you join us and look forward to reading your posts and seeing pics of your bike. Post often and ride safe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome from NW Washington and congrats on a new and shiny Star!

Safe riding and Happy Halloween!:D

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum eh. Good to see that you took the MSF course and that you've started to gain experience. To further enhance that riding experience, may I suggest a nice trip to the great white north :). Up here you often ride in triple digits, metric digits mind you, but triple non the less :D. You'll enjoy the 1300 for sure. It's not as heavy as the GW, rides like a dream and has power to spare. Make sure you post often, ask questions ang have a good time.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I took delivery today and Put about 30 miles on the bike (it had 0 at the dealer :p ). My thoughts so far are it's a night and day difference from the GW. Like polar opposites (which is a great thing). There are only a couple of things I would want to do to it over the winter in preparation for spring.

1) Since I am still a new rider I will not be riding 2-up for a while. That being said I think I will remove the passenger seat and slap on a fender bib for now. I think I will really like the look of that. Something like this.

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/78125/Plain-Fender-Bib-Yamaha-V-Star-9501300

2) I need the mp3 player adapter since I do not own an iphone/ipod. I found one online that seems like a decent price

http://www.hondaeastsuperstore.com/p-6516-yamaha-oem-mp3-adapter-cable-vstar-1300-deluxe-2014-star-motorcycle.aspx

3) I might replace the stock grips with a pair of ISO grips with the palm rest (make for more comfortable ride)

4) If possible and I think it should be I might loosen the handle bars and pivot them up a few degrees. Not liking the angle of the grips.

Other then that I love the audio, GPS, floorboards, exhaust and pretty much everything else.

Are there any gotchas or things common to the vstar line that I should/need to be aware of?

I see some people swap out the stock handle bars but I think if i can adjust the degree of the grips I should be good. Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well i have been lucky enough to get to ride everyday since picking up the bike on Saturday. Put a hair over 200 miles on it already. So far i am extremely satisfied with this purchase. Fairing, bags, audio are all a perfect fit the 1300. I have a couple of things i would like for the bike like iso grips,palm rest handle bar helmet lock ( i don't much care for having to lock the helmet under the seat). Might even get a drink holder for the morning coffee on the way to work

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow Cipher! really nice looking ride!! not a bad price either . you got me drooling over here but it is way to big for this newbie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's all self control and what you can handle. I just got my license in September and never ride before taking the basic rider course. I just have a healthy respect for the amount of power i am riding and don't abuse it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well today is going to be a nice day here in central ny. That being said, it's time for a small rode trip. Leaving syracuse area and heading to Albany area via route 20. About a 3 hour ride on non toll rodes. Should be a nice ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with you Cipher, I got a bit ahead of my self and got the bike first... will be taking my classes this weekend. Total respect for the power of a bike, even my little old 650.. its perfect for me right now, it currently goes faster than I can go on it... that being said. I would like to see what a bigger bike feels like, but just to see the difference. I am super happy with mine for now. enjoy your teip and be safe!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well just got back home from the ride. I now have close to 500 miles racked up since Saturday. Not too bad concidering it's fall in New York and a lot of people have already put their bikes away for the winter. Snapped a few shots off while resting the bum a bit

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after 500 miles I have come across a few things I would like to change. Overall I really like the look/style/feel of the bike. Here is my winter wish list. Nothing crazy or major but just little touches.

- Mustang Seats 78125 Plain Fender Bib – For the Solo Bobber look
- Kuryakyn 6235 ISO-Grips Handlebar grips
- Kuryakyn 6247 KewLock Grip End Helmet Lock (don't like locking the helmet under the seat every time)
- Kuryakyn 6299 Contoured ISO-Throttle Boss-right Side
- Kuryakyn 1464 Snap-N-Go Drink Holder with Stainless Steel Mug (for the morning coffee on the way into work)
- Yamaha 2C5-H25B0-V0-00 OEM MP3 Adapter Cable (Don't have an iPod/iPhone)

Down the line maybe:

Gel Seat cushion (rear gets a little numb after an hour or so)
Engine Guard with Highway Pegs
Touring Trunk for long trips (with seat back rest for the Mrs)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Super nice bike Cipher, I did a little road trip today myself. That wish list makes me think you have been looking around at some shops on your ride? Nice pictures!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with you Cipher, I got a bit ahead of my self and got the bike first... will be taking my classes this weekend. Total respect for the power of a bike, even my little old 650.. its perfect for me right now, it currently goes faster than I can go on it... that being said. I would like to see what a bigger bike feels like, but just to see the difference. I am super happy with mine for now. enjoy your teip and be safe!

Awesome cipher! Looks like racking up your break in mileage is coming along quite nicely! Also got a nice shopping list going, Christmas time is a coming!

zgeneral- I think that's the name of the game. You know, I started on a 125cc Kawasaki eliminator. I took the safety course and rode that for about 3 yrs. Then I bought the 650, thought it was going to be huge, but adjusted to it really quickly. Now I have graduated to the 950. IMO, I think the bigger you go, the easier they are to ride! Just be confident, take your time getting to know your and the bike's capability and ride safe, and you should have a lot of fun. Of course I would never discount women riders, but I'm an average sized young woman, and I've never had a problem! The 950 is very comfy and the 650 was plenty of power for cruising along, but if you needed/wanted to get on the freeway, I just wanted that little extra umph- I got it now.

It's awesome y'all got new bikes and look forward to your posts! Take care and ride safe, ;)

Ashlie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts