Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first V star...2002 1100 with 6500 miles...looks brand new. Anyway, it has aftermarket slip-ons...pops and backfires....first stop, rejet...do you agree? The previous owner said he just had carbs sync'd....Im guessing a re-jet will solve...also, being from Californina, can I take off the AIS unit and not have legal issues? thanks for your imput. I have a huge list of things I want for it....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal on your bike. Welcome to our fun house. Go do the rejet, it will surly help. Ask a local mechanic about your AIS.
Everything is legeal in Mexico.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome to the answer store I just can't answers yours sorry. However someone will find you the answer.Great people here with lots of wisdom.Congrats on your new to you scoot. Post some pics. We all like pictures and shiny objects.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If they're just slip-ons and not a full exhaust, re-jetting shouldn't be necessary; disabling the AIS should help with the popping. As far as legality, I can't help you there. We don't even have vehicle inspection let alone emissions inspection in the northwoods of Wisconsin.:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As to your question on the AIS it should help with the popping and if it's illegal I say so what so is speeding and we all do that.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would not recommend removal of the AIS in California if you have to do emmisions test with every registration renewal. Here is an alternative bypass that i had to do a couple days ago to stop all the popping/back-firing. This is what you'll see under the left side cover of my bike. If you need to worry about emmissions, this can always be put back in place, took me about 2 minutes

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome, NoCal.

Race you to Lompoc. Ready......go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts