Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger today on new to me 2009 RSV. Considering buying extended warranty and wondering what the consensus is on need.....are they a good deal ? I am generally not an extended warranty guy but have never owned a bike of this value. I know the RSV is bullet-proof but stuff happens. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Being a fairly new owner myself I can tell you the bike is solid like a rock. Mine came with a five year warranty as part of the package, nice to have but hope not to have to use it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Many of those extended warranties are just service maintenance plans, where they will change oil, filter, plugs, etc at required intervals. They also cover the less frequent services like brake flush and valve adjustments.

The belt and shaft maintenance schedule is basically just to check belt tension or lube the splines. These both get handled every time you get a new back tire, so that's not really a consideration. Oil, various filters, and spark plugs are all easily done for the semi-handy and it feels good to do these yourself.

The RSV is like my Roadstar with hydraulically, self-adjusting valves. There is a check interval provided by Yamaha, but many of these bikes have well over 100,000 miles and have never had a valve adjustment. Brakes need to be done so rarely, I choose to just pay out of pocket until I get the confidence to do it myself.

Bottom line, if you feel comfortable changing your own oil, or feel like it's something you want to try, skip the maintenance plan. I'm pretty confident you're still on the hook for any parts and non-routine work when something breaks. You pay for one $100 oil change and you'll suddenly realize with a little confidence you can save yourself $50. Only took once for me.

Just out of curiosity, how much are they charging for the plan?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just realized this thread is a couple months old. Sorry for answering unnecessarily. Not deleting my post though, because my opinion hasn't changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts