Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 VStar 1100 Classic, 13200 miles. I took it for a short ride Thursday with no issues. Friday, I took it for a quick ride to the office and on my way home, it cut off on me. I had to pull over and hit start multiple times with throttle help to get it started, then would only make it a couple of miles before pulling in the clutch to start downshifting and slow down for a turn, it cut off. It did this three times before it would not start back up. It would just click really fast. Today, I turned the key, it clicked several times for a couple of seconds and then stopped, I hit the start button and it cranked up like nothing was wrong. I haven't taken it for a ride because I don't feel like pushing it home again. This is my first bike so I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Battery cables. Both ends. It's a good start. Give your battery a full charge while you're at it just to tell it everything's going to be OK.

Many times I have seen similar types of problems and the owner checked the battery cables and didn't bother with the engine ground or positive hookup when they were actually the problem. I don't have a copy of your wiring diagram but you are describing more than one circuit that each connect back to the primary battery circuit (ignition and starter are two separate primary circuits). Annually is a good routine for checking them.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Well lets start with a Welcome to the forum Mike. Nice ride you have, wish we could see it. You just got to love those boomatron problems. One day it's there the other it's not, maybe :D. Definately check the battery connections, the charge and kickstand switch circuit. Let us know what you found.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have been trying to recreate the problem for the last hour and she seems to be running fine. There were a few times where she sounded like she was going to quit or there was an extra loud pop but she kept running. Battery initially was charging between 17-18 v when running but then slowly dropped to the 13-15 area with a few random drops below 10 or even lower. I've shut her off and cranked her back up several times with no issues. I'm going to let the pipes and engine cool down before i start checking the wires. The wires to the battery seem secure, so I dont know.

Oh and here she is!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unplugged the ground, plugged it back and now it wont start. rapid clicking started then that died into a quiet moan.... now absolutely nothing happens when i push start. battery reading about 5.5

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thats a really nice looking ride.
I wish I could help you out with your issue but Im not the mechanical kind of guy. Hopefully you will get your answers and fix fast so you can start riding again soon.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well, I have been trying to recreate the problem for the last hour and she seems to be running fine. There were a few times where she sounded like she was going to quit or there was an extra loud pop but she kept running. Battery initially was charging between 17-18 v when running but then slowly dropped to the 13-15 area with a few random drops below 10 or even lower. I've shut her off and cranked her back up several times with no issues. I'm going to let the pipes and engine cool down before i start checking the wires. The wires to the battery seem secure, so I dont know.
iolts and will fry.

Oh and here she is!
if the battery voltage is over 15 i think your regulator is bad.your battery can't take that many volts and will fry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I fully charged the battery, it was reading about 17-18 alone... not sure if that's good or bad. Hooked her up, turned her on and this is what happened...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Ok joking aside. I can't tell from the video but it looks like it is coming out from the bottom of the cylinder head which would mean a leaking cylinder gasket and some work and $$ to get it replaced (remove tank, intake, carbs, exhaust, valve cover, cylinder, order all new gaskets - even those not leaking before b/c now they will once removed- debate new rings and hone cylinder if decide on new rings, hope you don't break any bolt in head ...... You get the idea)

I hope it is coming from somewhere else.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
figured the oil out, found where a screw was loose. so with bike running, battery is sitting steady between 18-19... im getting the impression from previous posts that is not normal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to figure it out eventually. I'll keep posting updates too. I'm going to take it for a spin in a little bit just to see how she acts

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
So from where was the oil leaking? Given that it was higher up, was it an oil return line? We would love to see a pic or two.

And I hope you put more oil in before running it anymore or riding it :D
Better still, drain and change the oil and filter :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts