Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..name is Jon. I have been riding for about 5 years now and just purchased my first cruiser - a vstar 1300 tourer. Great bike so far, nice handling and riding! Really looking forward to the new riding season and piling on some miles and smiles. Quick question..I am looking to install a rear trunk. I have been scouring the internet but I would really appreciate any tips, advice or suggestions on where to find a decent one that will fit the bike. Thanks!

:grin:

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Hi jonboy, I found mine on eBay for my 950, 1300s little brother, for $70 with free shipping. You'll need a rack to attach it to. I bought the one that'll hold two helmets and we love it. IMG_2858.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
It's under hl_supershop, that's the seller. I went into eBay under motorcycle luggage and saddlebags. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Keith, I think I found one that will work but now I am faced with another issue. My bike has a passenger backrest that is connected to the rear fender. My issue is that I need to attach a rack that does not use the backrest as an attachment point. Can you recommend any racks that might fit this description? Thanks again for your help!

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
My 950 had the detachable factory backrest that allowed me to remove it and attach the appropriate rack that my trunk sits on. You may have to look into a detachable backrest bracket setup like mine, several 1300 and 950 parts interchange, and go that route. Check Yamaha parts houses, even our forums classifieds section, and maybe one of our members can also help. If you need me to take some pics for you, I can snap them tomorrow as my bike is in winter storage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 950 had the detachable factory backrest that allowed me to remove it and attach the appropriate rack that my trunk sits on. You may have to look into a detachable backrest bracket setup like mine, several 1300 and 950 parts interchange, and go that route. Check Yamaha parts houses, even our forums classifieds section, and maybe one of our members can also help. If you need me to take some pics for you, I can snap them tomorrow as my bike is in winter storage.

I wouldn't mind some pics when you get a chance Keith. I too am considering adding a trunk (to put on for road trips). My 1300T has a backrest and luggage rack.

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Ok, I'll be going over to the storage unit where my bike is sometime tomorrow baring any unforeseen issues weather wise.

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
This is how I mounted my trunk eusjma, after removing the detachable sissy bar, I used the spacers and bolts in the last picture to attach the rack the trunk sits on, then used some of the included brackets and exhaust clamps to hold the trunk in place. Hope this helps. I lined the inside of the trunk with heat deflective tape and it holds two helmets. We enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Keith,

That helps a bunch. I think I have narrowed it down to a few options. I have found a vendor called Wompus Rack. The guy makes luggage racks that fit vstars, including the 1300 that mount on the sides of the rear fender. As far as a trunk I was considering the Viking trunk or a cheaper one like the one you have on your ride. I have a feeling I may go that route. By the way here are some pics of my ride with all the goodies that came with it when I bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've been thinking to get a trunk too... Light duty, mostly just a place to stash my helmet or a few things for an overnight when the saddlebags won't do (2007 XVS1300 cruiser). Was looking at this one from Emgo: https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-72-32440-Travel-Trunk/dp/B000GVD0VE

Not the prettiest thing, and only one-helmet capacity (which for me is fine). But has the advantage of hooking on to my existing rack without need to remove my existing passenger back rest... Decent reviews. If anyone has experience w/it would love to hear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts