Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 73 year old guy and just bought an old 2009 Vstar 950 T and trying to get riding again. Had a golf ball sized tumor removed from my brain last June and gave up riding and sold my old bike. So far I'm just getting on and off and trying to orient myself again but I hope I can ride in a few weeks. Never had Yamaha but my brother has a Vstar 1300 and loves it. I'm sure I'll need a lot of help but will try not to bug everyone too much.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! The 950 is a nice bike. I bought one last year and I love it. Do not worry about bugging people. There are some great people here with tons of knowledge and are willing to assist. Good luck and happy riding!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Redbird58;1010348 Do not worry about bugging people. There are some great people here with tons of knowledge and are willing to assist. Good luck and happy riding![/QUOTE said:
Don't worry about bugging us that is what we are here for. Hope you continue to improve and get that bike on the road, I am sure you will like it.
Welcome and good riding!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
if you are feeling a bit insecure on the bike and getting back into riding, I recommend you put an engine guard / crash bar on the front of the bike

a few weeks after I got Ursa (my Royal Star, photos in garage page on left of screen) I was making a slow U turn and went over on its side. The crash bar the previous owner had put on the bike made it a minor annoyance to pick the bike up, no damage to me or the bike, instead of a costly and painful stupid mistake.

whatever you spend on a crash bar will pay for itself the first time that you drop it, it falls off the kickstand, or someone else bumps it over. I plan on putting one on my VS650, which I use mostly for commuting now.

and it goes without saying (but worth typing) wear all your gear, even when practicing slow riding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome from a 72 year old 950T rider. Had mine since 2015 (purchased new) and love it more with every ride.

Is yours pure stock or "tweaked"? I opted for some minor tweaking (FI2000, opened the muffler just a bit and a K&N air filter). Also added the factory "passing lamps" for some added visibility (both directions) and the factory crash bar. Both are worth considering (IMHO).

Again welcome!! Take it slow, but you know what they say: "it's like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget" - even in our 70's!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,048 Posts

·
2,366 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, and welcome back to riding. You picked a great bike. As others have said, you won't be bugging any of us with any questions. This is the best forum I've ever been a part of and even though I no longer ride a Yamaha, I still come here every day. This is more of a family than a forum, and you're more than welcome to pull up a chair and join us.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
In time you will see KCW has a lot of good ideas
when you make hard boiled eggs put a bit of olive oil in the water before you put the eggs in

the shells will peel right off like you would not believe :^)

·
Registered
661 Posts
when you make hard boiled eggs put a bit of olive oil in the water before you put the eggs in

the shells will peel right off like you would not believe :^)
Dang it I must have had my head down...I completely missed the detour ahead sign....:smile:

·
Super Moderator
6,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum udawg!
I admire you for not letting age or health keep you from riding. This forum is truly a family where everyone has something to contribute. With all of the various owners, you’re certain to get help with any issue. My wife and I each ride a 950, hers is slightly modified, and my tourer model is heavily modified. Glad you joined us and please share some pics of your ride with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm a 73 year old guy and just bought an old 2009 Vstar 950 T and trying to get riding again. Had a golf ball sized tumor removed from my brain last June and gave up riding and sold my old bike. So far I'm just getting on and off and trying to orient myself again but I hope I can ride in a few weeks. Never had Yamaha but my brother has a Vstar 1300 and loves it. I'm sure I'll need a lot of help but will try not to bug everyone too much.
Titleist, Callaway, or Srixon?

Welcome! A lotta nice people ride motorcycles here, and some (not me) have considerable knowledge of them and have smart things to say about how to take care of them. You picked a good place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts