Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became the proud owner of a 2004 Vstar 650 Classic with 9500 miles. I'm an old/new rider. Spent lots of hours riding dirt bikes, as a kid, but hadn't ridden for years. Now I'm trying to get comfortable with a different kind of wheels
Came across this forum, while trying to answer some questions about the bike. Looks like a good forum and a great bunch of people.
Grayrider

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,933 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt:

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
If you are like me and spent years riding off road
and now you want to get your license and ride on the street

then take the beginners MSF rider course, get your license in 3 days
save 10% on your insurance for the rest of your life
and save your skin and your bike every time you do not crash, because of the street riding skills you will learn in the course, and use every time you ride

I took the course just to get my license, I did not have a bike yet.
I thought it would be a formality because I knew how to ride a motorbike (off road)
that delusion lasted about 10 minutes into the first day of riding

I have yet to meet anyone who took the MSF course and then said it was a waste of time

In most countries something like the MSF course is required

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome aboard I’ve had two of the 650 classic and so far they have been great to me. The only issue I’ve ever had is the charging system. But I believe that it maybe a very easy fix or possible even normal. And taking the MSF COURSE is highly recommended as most of us older riders have some bad habits from riding in the dirt.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. Where are you from? Some of us like me are garge bound till spring. As others have stated even if you have a license the Safety course is most important, after years of riding you don't know everything. The enduro taught me how to crash and the course teaches you how not to.
The 650 is a great bike. Love to see pics. Stop by often.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just became the proud owner of a 2004 Vstar 650 Classic with 9500 miles. I'm an old/new rider.
Grayrider
Welcome to the forum from Dallas. When I decided to start riding again, I also chose a used 650. What a sweet bike. Great looking. Comfortable. You're gonna like it.

·
2,737 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. As others have said, the 650 is a good, reliable bike and will treat you well and you've found the best place to learn all about it and many other things.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York and another 650 owner, retiree and new rider. Its an awesome forum, lots of activity and expertise available. Happy trails...ride safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Everyone, for the warm welcome! I took the 2 day basic course, back in November of 2019. (Florida requires it for a motorcycle license) Then I couldn't wait til I found a good bike. This one turned out to be almost ideal. It's got Vance & Hines short shot pipes, and its a little louder than I wanted, but they will be okay til I figure out how to quiet it a little.
I'm keeping to the side roads, so far, until I'm a little more comfortable, but looking around for an intermediate class, to hone my road skills a bit more.
Looking forward to talking with you folks. I'll try and post some photos soon.

·
2,002 Posts
Spend a little time in empty parking lots trying quick stops, tight slow speed turns and anything you might think you need.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just a word of caution about riding in areas where there is an abundance of sand...It can get slippery when cornering or braking. Pay very close attention to the pavement. Very much like loose gravel but harder to see. Avoid grass clippings also if possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts