Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expected to relieve a lot of the wind pressure with getting any type of windshield, and it does just that, but the buffeting i get with this windshield is unbearable. its like moving down the interstate at 80 mph in a car and only opening your front windows, it gives me a headache after a few minutes. i got the windshield for its height(which the top of it is about at my mouth), looks and price and i cant afford to put much more in it, i was planning on using this one until i could afford a full speaker fairing but i cant even ride with this, and now i'm kind of afraid to spend the money on one if it'll feel the same its currently sitting in my garage waiting on me to figure out what to do with it. i cant seem to find out where the wind is coming from. I've placed my hand at various points around my head and i don't feel any strong winds and no position of my hand lessens the effect of the buffeting, I've tried every position possible on the fairing and even moved the whole thing up on down by the fork clamps, and still nothing, i don't want to call this a loss, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
Hey Josh, I'm no wind expert, however judging from the pictures you posted that's a very narrow windshield at the base where it's mounted. I'd suggest getting some lowers (wind deflectors) that mount to the side of your forks. They will help a lot with the buffeting and are not very costly if you shop around, here's mine on my 950. Hope this helps. IMG_2959.JPG IMG_2960.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
First, you should have the windshield about somewhere between your top lip and your nose as far as height. Next, I'd think about making or buying some lowers that will fit on your fork tubes below the windshield. That's usually where you get a lot of buffeting from. I made a set for my bike when I had just a windshield as I was getting some of the same wind your talking about. Once I put the lowers on the wind buffeting was gone.

Do a search for DIY motorcycle windshield lowers and get an idea of how to make them. You'll need a piece of Lexan and some aluminum angle and stainless hose clamps. They are easy to make.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input! ive been reading around and someone said use your left arm across your chest to see if its coming from the bottom(it was) and someone said turn around the clamps so the whole shield is closer, which stopped it as well, but now my whole face is above the sheild -_-

·
Registered
100 Posts
When looking at your windshield.......... I see that it doesn't go down much and there is a gap between it and the tank. I'd say that your buffeting is wind coming from between the tank and shield and the tank is forcing the wind into your body and face causing the buffeting your having the trouble with.

A good set of lowers will fix your problem. You need them too come up to the bottom of the windshield or as close to it as possible. You may have to play with the design some to get them right.

I actually went from a windshield too a fairing and kept the lowers on it. The ride is great. I can hang my glasses from the front of my shirt and they don't move. My long beard doesn't blow around much either.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i have the short 17 inch oem polycarbonate (lexan) on my 650 never had a wind problem with it. if i put a straight edge on top of it to my face its right at the tip of my nose, you should never have a windshield so high you have to look through it, and lexan is way better than acrylic. the extra money is well worth it, with the new coatings coming out they are almost impossible to scratch unlike acrylic which scratches easily. i don't know if its the way the picture is but yours look like it has a kinda weird shape to it, maybe a little to narrow at the top? if your bucking a strong head wind you'll get some buffeting with any windshield

·
Registered
317 Posts
A gap between the headlight and windshield is a GOOD thing. Why? Because is allows some air in behind the shield to prevent too much of a vacuum. If there is too much of a vacuum, that will help pull more air from below causing the buffeting.

But 99% of buffeting is caused by airflow from below near the forks being pulled up into your helmet are causing the buffeting. Wind deflectors and or lowers, sometimes these are the same based on manufacture will eliminate most of this issue.

I fought buffeting on my 950 and then my 1300. I tried all kinds of windshields, heights you name it. Then I tried the national Cycle windshield and lowers (Switchblade) and the buffeting vanished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
the reason i wouldn't use lowers on my bike is they might block some air from hitting the heads plus i never cared for the look of those, i put a wind screen on mostly for safety to block bugs and debris from hitting me not so much for blocking wind, the whole idea of riding a motorcycle for me is getting into the wind so why would i wan't to block it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lowers don't block air from the engine. They block the air that gets pulled up toward the riders helmet/head. The biggest reason for windshields is not to block wind as much as for comfort. When you ride 70mph+ for 150 to 200 miles it minimizes fatigue a huge amount. I am 6'3" and my lower back gets sore because you sit upright on a cruise and the wind tries to push you back so you naturally lean forward and that is what causes my lower back pain without one at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I expected to relieve a lot of the wind pressure with getting any type of windshield, and it does just that, but the buffeting i get with this windshield is unbearable. its like moving down the interstate at 80 mph in a car and only opening your front windows, it gives me a headache after a few minutes. i got the windshield for its height(which the top of it is about at my mouth), looks and price and i cant afford to put much more in it, i was planning on using this one until i could afford a full speaker fairing but i cant even ride with this, and now i'm kind of afraid to spend the money on one if it'll feel the same its currently sitting in my garage waiting on me to figure out what to do with it. i cant seem to find out where the wind is coming from. I've placed my hand at various points around my head and i don't feel any strong winds and no position of my hand lessens the effect of the buffeting, I've tried every position possible on the fairing and even moved the whole thing up on down by the fork clamps, and still nothing, i don't want to call this a loss, does anyone have any suggestions?

I had a windshield similar to that on my bike for 1 ride. It sucked. There are far better ones out there for just a few more $$$....

·
Registered
609 Posts
My 04 vs1100 came with the 'silverado' windshield, and I had exactly the same problem - crazy buffeting at 60mph+. Tried moving adjusting it to no avail. I ended up just taking it off (I prefer the 'naked' look anyway) and much better... Though admittedly, I rarely ride on the interstate and/or over 55mph, so the airflow itself isn't much an issue for me. But when I do ride over 60, I'd rather have the air than the buffeting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts