Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic that kept burning through the stator wires so I replaced the bikes main wiring harness, the stator and the regulator. Now the bike will turn over when attempting to start but will not run. Any suggestions? Carb has been torn down soaked and cleaned with air hose. I get air, spark and fuel. Just wondering if it’s something with the ecu?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Check your battery, my 650 melted the stator plug and over heated the positive terminal of the battery.
After I replaced the battery it worked fine, if you don't have a good battery it will turn the starter over but not have enough to run the ignition.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,555 Posts
How did you test spark?

How did you test you are getting fuel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your battery, my 650 melted the stator plug and over heated the positive terminal of the battery.
After I replaced the battery it worked fine, if you don't have a good battery it will turn the starter over but not have enough to run the ignition.
I did get a new battery but didn’t put it on yet, Will give that a try and let you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you test spark?

How did you test you are getting fuel?
Pulled the plugs and held them against engine block while cranking the bike and got strong spark. Also after trying to crank it a few times pulled the plug and it’s wet with gas.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Do you you use the choke to start it? You should not use the throttle to start it. If you do you can ruin the starter clutch because the tps will advance the timing which can force the motor backward. If you put a volt meter on the battery you have to have more than 10v or the ignition can't spark while trying to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you you use the choke to start it? You should not use the throttle to start it. If you do you can ruin the starter clutch because the tps will advance the timing which can force the motor backward. If you put a volt meter on the battery you have to have more than 10v or the ignition can't spark while trying to start.
Yes I use the choke and not the throttle. Battery is always reading at least 12V. However I am going to check the timing again to make sure that's not an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts