Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just bought a 2006 Roadliner here in OKC. Love the bike, but have a few questions/concerns.
For one, when I'm riding down the road and pull the clutch I can feel a rumbling that lasts for a second or two, goes away for about the same time span, and this will reoccur about 3 times before it finally goes away. I saw where the front pully on final drive can loosen up, so checked it, but all seemed well.
Then, after that rumbling goes away, and the clutch is disengaged when I lean left and right i can feel a simillar but different? grumbling through the floor boards at the apex of the leans. Rear Wheel Bearings??? The bike only has 8K mi. on her so seems odd for the wheel bearings to be bad. I am due for a new rear tire. This one is a little cupped from having been ridden with low air pressure. Just thought I'd get your guys opinion on weather to just get a new tire or to also change out the wheel bearings while the tire is off???
Last question for this post :p This bike came with a full aftermarket Cobra straight exaust without baffels. Am I missing out not having the factory EXUP system"? Will it hurt this motor by not having this exaust valve??

Thanks for your time and opinions,
WillyB.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Well, change out the rear tire because a cupped motorcycle tire can be felt and heard.

The other thing to check is the belt alignment going over the front and rear pulleys as well as tension, maybe too lose?? Might as well make sure these last two are correct after the tire change which you will take care of anyway I suppose.

·
Registered
254 Posts
like stratowart posted probably tire ready about this mileage to be tossed.
The EXUP valve not being there you loose little bit of TQ in the low end, but bike has so much power you probably don't even notice it and if it's tuned right and runs good is all that matters. Most Fuel Control systems put it rich and your fuel economy goes down, but usually that is from the right hand twisting throttle to often.
Ride Safe
let us know how it goes

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would strongly suggest you also join the Stratoliner Roadliner forum, there is a lot of techno stuff there.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get that tire changed out, the belt tension is good! Don't know about the alignment??
Okay, so don't worry about the EXUP, but should I get baffles for that exaust for back pressure?
And Dyna, is this not the Stratoliner Roadliner forum??

·
Registered
389 Posts
No, type in Stratoliner Roadliner forum and sign up for free.
Tons of info on the liners over there.
I have close to 45,000 on my 07 and have learned a lot about these bikes.
Jim

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I'll get that tire changed out, the belt tension is good! Don't know about the alignment??
After you change the rear tire and put the wheel back on, just like a chain drive, you want to be as careful as possible that the belt tracks nicely in the rear pulley. If it is not aligned real good the belt will want to climb the inner edge or the outer edge of the rear pulley. I'm guessing that might cause a growling noise.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry I gave you the wrong info.
Type in Star stratoliner roadliner forum and the second choice says linerwiki, click on it and it will take you right to it.
Jim

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tread design

Some tread designs have deeper wider groves toward edges of tire and make some noise when you lean. I would not replace the tire unless you can see cupping.

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mine does the same thing has about same milage and same cupping tire. Seems to be a norm for the liners.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sooner, here is a copy and paste from another (3rd) Strat website. It claims a TSB (technical service bulletin) has been issued regarding the rear axle. Haven't seen it myself.
// Momma Yamaha has acknowledged in her typical fashion that there is a problem with the Strat rear axle. Had my 950 for 8k maintenance and once again asked about any thing from Yamaha on frozen rear axle on the 950.

The service manager said not on the 950 but they did receive a bulletin from Yamaha to remove and grease rear axles on all Starts they currently had in their inventory, showroom floor and crates.

He strongly recommended that anyone owning as Strat (or Roadliner) have their rear axle checked and greased. //

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input and the links. I'll have the dealership change out that rear tire, that way they can work all service bulletins and get her properly aligned! I may try some of the other sites, but lots of good quick responses here as well.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New rear tire

Finally got that rear tire installed, and it cured my side to side rumble :) There is still a little bit of an intermittent grumble when I pull the clutch, however it doesnt seem near as bad as it did before I swaped the tire out.
One Note though for any Okies: I took this bike to Maxey's here in OKC, after calling twice and being quoted $45 to change the tire. My bill was $77 for the install. Then I ordered baffles, the kid charged me $40, told him to double check make sure it was for both. He went to the back, then reassured me that it was. Went up to pick them up yesterday only to find out there was just one. Asked for a refund, and told them they were two for two and that I probably would not be back. FYI!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts